The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have 2 weeks left to apply for deer and antelope in wy.Antelope hunting is alot of fun and I highly recommend it.Wy. has a target rich environment for antelope
Alot of no points units to draw for deer too.They have some great whitetails and muleys.For you guys that want to try something different, give mule deer a shot.Alot of fun and mostly spot and stalk;not treestands
both of these hunts have a high success rate if you put in some research and foot work.Biologists in Wy. are very helpful and will put you on the right track.
Just wanted to give you guys the heads up on the upcoming deadline to apply

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
I don't know why I read this title as "Why deer elope" but I did. I figured it was a Universal joke, and I was looking forward to it!

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Deer elope because they can't find a church open to them or a minister inclined to marry them. Maybe their parents don't like their choice of mates. What else are a buck and doe to do?

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
This is my next hunt as soon as family things stabilize and i can get the money together.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can do a diy antelope hunt for around $1000 for everything;gas,license,food,hotel.The more guys the cheaper it gets.I hope your able to try it someday soon.If you need any help on how to do it yourself instead of guided send me a pm and I'll go over it with you.Your group should go 100% with a little work,and if you can shoot well

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Well its going to be with a bow, not a long gun, and definitely want to do it spot and stalk. Just can;t bring myself to sit in a blind over a water hole for a week in big sky country. Thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
A bow or rifle hunt for muleys and antelope would be awsome. This has been my dream hunt for many years. When I was 22 years old, a friend of mine went to Wyoming for mule deer and came back with a beautiful 4X4. The great stories I heard from his 2 week adventure was just unreal! I wanted to go! Well, I did not have the money when I had the time. Then, I had the money but not the time. (Marriage, kids,etc..) I'm 45 and still have not gotten out for my dream trip. I'm hoping in a couple of years when the kids are out of school, I'll get out there. Good luck to everybody who is heading out west this year and please post pics!!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your welcome to come along with me out west any year you want.don't forget about archery elk hunting though.Its the best of all the western hunting.Antelope is alot of fun as is deer,and soooo much different then out here
treed74,I have a cow decoy that attaches to my bow,and is great for stalking.I recommend looking for crawl unders rather then waterholes esp. on publicland.Antelope crawl under fences,they don't jump them.Find their trails and set up on them;works awesome.Stalking without a decoy will require you to be very accurate up to 60 yards or better.You won't believe their eyesight

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Jayden41 said:
Your welcome to come along with me out west any year you want.don't forget about archery elk hunting though.Its the best of all the western hunting.Antelope is alot of fun as is deer,and soooo much different then out here
treed74,I have a cow decoy that attaches to my bow,and is great for stalking.I recommend looking for crawl unders rather then waterholes esp. on publicland.Antelope crawl under fences,they don't jump them.Find their trails and set up on them;works awesome.Stalking without a decoy will require you to be very accurate up to 60 yards or better.You won't believe their eyesight

Good rule of thumb but it's not an absolute truth. I've watched Pronghorn jump over a fence a couple of times when they couldn't find a way under. I like to watch waterholes midday as that's when it's most effective.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
yep...my doe I shot last year jumped a fence, with about a half dozen others. The other half dozen didn't want to jump though. They'd rather go under or around fences, but definitely will jump them if they have to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts