The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided since I have a WV Archery license to make the most of it since rain stopped and weather not too cold. Windy here. Just got in stand for a PM hunt. Was out at first light just walking new areas and testing new Garmin GPS. Ended up jumping two deer right at a spot I preloaded into it and also found stomach remains of a gut pile and alittle hair from gun season I presume.

Attachments

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Nothing yet, but not real surprised after two week gun and a week mzl here. Windy.

·
Premium Member
23,558 Posts
Where in WVA you hunt?? I used to hunt Sleepy Creek WMA.
That is where I was at.I had not been there for maybe 15yrs until this year.
Some nice country there. We used to camp at lake in pop-up & take boat across and hunt far side. Hunted there 4 years and took a 3 bucks. I stopped hunting there do to their rifle opener conflicting with our bear season.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rowed across there myself and harvested some bucks.Little hunting pressure there compared to 15-20 years ago.Like Pa. now..Even with a concurrent season little shooting.

·
Premium Member
23,558 Posts
A small world! Used to check deer in at the Shanghai store. Glad to hear there are less hunters too. It was about 20 years since I’ve been there. Spring turkey was also pretty good for us.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A small world! Used to check deer in at the Shanghai store. Glad to hear there are less hunters too. It was about 20 years since I’ve been there. Spring turkey was also pretty good for us.
Probably less deer also, but still I saw sign of them in snow.We may have crossed paths then.Lots of Pa. guys there back then.Now it is just a few from what I saw.Few of any hunters.I only talked to one other hunter as I came back across the dam and he said he use to avoid the Dam lot on opening day due to it being packed.This year there was my car and one or two others all day until he showed up after lunch.Just like many spots in Pa. now.A few camps set up in lower campground with some groups of hunters and there was a few shots behind those camps and few further up lake where I use to go across.You probably know where the powerline is and I could hear a long way up that way and not one shot was heard in the valley.One reason I saw no deer opening day I guess with little pressure.Had a good perch and felt confident with the sign.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts