The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
That guy was out of control. Screaming and yelling, calling the police names, telling them to shut up. Not sure what else he should have expected acting like that. Sorry, just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
He was upset the police were breaking the law. The while thing could have been avoided if the officer handled it differently.

·
Registered
183 Posts
that is the most disgusting act of police ignorance and illegal arrest i have ever seen. those guys are pigs.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I'd be screaming and yelling too if I was illegally arrested.

That blog is great reading.

Open carry, what's the big deal? If I have an orange vest on and there's woods nearby it's ok, but otherwise not?

I carry a gun everywhere. I don't dial 911.

·
Registered
665 Posts
bassbucks69 said:
that is the most disgusting act of police ignorance and illegal arrest i have ever seen. those guys are pigs.
just another perfect video of some, not all cops that dont care about u or ur rights. its gotta stop ,they need to be treated the same way ,all wait that assualt !!!! if ur not a fellow LE you are treated like crap .they are pigs!!!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
wyomingcounty said:
I'd be screaming and yelling too if I was illegally arrested.

That blog is great reading.

Open carry, what's the big deal? If I have an orange vest on and there's woods nearby it's ok, but otherwise not?

I carry a gun everywhere. I don't dial 911.
I agree with this. I'd much rather know who's carrying than not. It really is a perceptual thing. Maybe we should harass ugly people too...or fat people or anybody wearing a t-shirt we don't like. If someone is open carrying around me I am quickly able to judge the risks, if any. It's the unknowns you can't judge.

·
Registered
19,190 Posts
I love the things the officers said...

Did you explain to the people what the law is?

they don't care about the law
so they can stop somebody independent of the law, hmmmmm...

followed by

we are exempt from the law
Is it illegal to carry an open firearm?

If it alarms other people then yes
Not quite- it may give LE a reason to investigate, but if open carry is legal then LE has no right to arrest or detain him beyond basic questioning.

It would be like arresting a hunter who was legally hunting on their own land b/c their PETA board member neighbor found in "alarming" and the officers declaring that by virtue of the neighbor considering hunting alarming, then you can be arrested for hunting on your own property, properly licensed, not in a safety zone, etc.

Claims he "resisted" are preposterous. But apparently being upset about being stopped is the equivalent of "resisting"? To me that's a gross abuse of authority.

I'm not saying LEOs don't have every right to be irritated by it, but being irritated is not the equivalent of "resistance". If the guy had started running and/or swinging his fists, then yes. Demanding they account for their actions and explain themselves- no.

BTW- we should not assume all LE actually know the laws. I was once stopped and cuffed and about to be stuffed into the back of a police car @ 1990 when coming out of a hunting spot w/my bow in Philadelphia County (yes, a legal hunting spot, in season, etc.). I protested too but the lady officer insisted it was illegal to hunt within the city limits and was arresting me. Lucky for me the shift supervisor showed up and told her to let me go. She protested until the supervisor told her that he himself hunted deer on this same exact piece of property and was fully aware of the laws and knew for a fact I was in full compliance.

I was lucky as heck that guy showed up else I would have spent the night in the Phila roundhouse and have no illusions I'd have never seen my bow or other equipment again, not w/o spending thousands on lawyers. I probably would have been charged illegally as well.

For example, prior to hunting this spot I called the Phila PD to make sure it was legal to hunt as I planned to do and every LE person I talked with told me it was illegal to hunt in the city limits under any circumstances. I can't imagine any citified DA or judge would have any reason to think otherwise. the burden of proof would have been on me to prove to them otherwise.

What kind of legal system is that?

This was all curious to me as the Phila County WCO lived 3 doors down from my house in Philly, was the person who introduced me to this spot for bowhunting, and explained to me the law did not prohibit bowhunting on private land outside of safety zones. He did not explain to me that I would have to take measures to avoid the elements of the Phila PD who did not know the laws and instead enforced what they thought were the laws.

Bad part is- regardless of why a LEO is arresting you, even if they are doing so illegally, there is no legal recourse for resistance of any kind, not even verbal.

What this implies is that LE can basically do what it wants and you had better avert your eyes and keep your mouth shut, and if you are lucky after supreme inconvenience, loss of time (potentially from work as well), and after shelling out a ton of $$$ for legal defense you MAY come away w/o charges.

We all know that LE and DAs often pressure folks who don't have many resources to just "admit" to some charge under threat of them bringing the fist of Thor down on them, basically telling them that unless they admit to something, LE will destroy them financially an/or take their freedom- whatever it takes so that the "system" doesn't have to admit its mistakes. There are legions of stories like this all across America.

BH

·
Registered
53 Posts
Open carry is a form of 'honesty'. I yam what I yam sorta thing. You don't get that with concealed carry. I'm not suggesting that those who conceal are dishonest persons but that they are in fact hiding something. And that 'something' might be important information to me and others.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Single Six said:
Open carry is a form of 'honesty'. I yam what I yam sorta thing. You don't get that with concealed carry. I'm not suggesting that those who conceal are dishonest persons but that they are in fact hiding something. And that 'something' might be important information to me and others.
I don't quite understand what your saying. Are you suggesting that we shouldn't be allowed to conceal? That everyone should open carry?

·
Registered
53 Posts
no, I'm suggesting that open carryers are the most honest out-in-front people you would meet. They aren't hiding anything. Are you suggesting that concealed aren't hiding anything? As is your right do as you see fit, but don't say you're not hiding anything. If I'm in a room with several strangers you're dam right I'd like to know who's packing.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
You can open carry if you like, but i'd rather conceal carry. If the people don't see your gun, they don't "feel threatened."

Personally I think CC is being more respectfull of other law biding citizens.

If your "not suggesting that those who conceal are dishonest," then how would a law biding citizen conceal carring be "important information" to you and others?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not and using the word 'honesty' has apparently opened up it's own can of worms....we are a very skitzoid population

If you think you need to conceal carry...go ahead...it's certainly better than not...and you have that right

But you are in fact hiding that from me...and many folks consider that a plus from a pure self defense standpoint. I can see the advantage.

Just don't criticise the open carryers. They are being open and honest and frankly non-threatening compared to our imagination (you the concealed guy who I have no idea what you have if at all)

·
Registered
53 Posts
important information? good question.

no matter where I go..home depot, sears, whatever I always and probably so do you analyze risk. Information is the input into that analysis. The more info the better. None of this should be argued against. If I walk into a room where everyone is open carrying I have a lot of information. If I walk *anywhere* where nobody is open carrying but the potential for concealed carry is high I have just a guess. Now you may think everybody concealed carrying is vetted...and that's true at a certain point of time (when you get your LTCF), but we all know situational awareness is very changeable and folks can cycle between being 'cool' and absolute ***. It happens. Gimme information and I can make a decision. Without information I cannot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
10% rule....10% of us will be derelict in our responsibilities in one way or another

90% rule...90% have every right to distance ourselves from that 10%

if I see 10 people open carrying I assume one of them is someone to keep an eye open on

since I can't see anyone concealed I just have to assume *everyone* deserves the eye

that's kind of a bummer

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
I don't always "analyze risk". I don't worry about public places, parking lots or other not-so public places are another story.

I'm not critising open carrying, but you must admit some people feel threatened when they see someone carring a gun.

It may even cause some people to "cycle between cool and not cool."

Out of sight out of mind.

·
Registered
53 Posts
FWIW, I don't open carry. But I do always analyse risk. It's just something I do. I just don't like the arguments against open carry when these folks are the most honest up-front individuals you have.

Yes, it can be threatening to some people, but really we have a history of open carry and it's only been recently that this has been 'odd'

·
Registered
665 Posts
[quote. I just don't like the arguments against open carry when these folks are the most honest up-front individuals you have.

Yes, it can be threatening to some people, but really we have a history of open carry and it's only been recently that this has been 'odd'[/quote]

1 - 20 of 57 Posts