The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="color: #003300"><span style="color: #000000">For all you beginners and as a reminder to those who have been shooting for some time----Never assume the gun will not go off without the pan primed...
Took my custom gun out the other day to discharge and thought "I wonder if it will work without the pan primed?" Never tried it in all these years.....The gun went off as if there was a full pan!! Holy Cow I thought!!! That sure could be dangerous if left with ball and patch and it can still function without priming. HMMMM----</span>
<span style="color: #330033"></span>I will now use the CO2 discharger after every hunt or take out the flint after emptying the pan. </span>

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
If you use a frizzen cover, and de-cock the hammer when you are done for the day, impossible for your gun to go off.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont say impossible-----I would have thought so without the pan primed!! LOL

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Good reminder Bunky... thanks.

Good luck to you the rest of this season!

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
good reminder...seems i always gotta yell at the guys before they get in the truck to goto the next drive to open the frizzen and lower their hammer and NO SMOKING in or near the truck or rifles!

i dump my pan, sweep it well, and lower the hammer...still not 10000% safe is its still charged...but, unless somehow someone throws a match or other lighted material in my rifles hiding spot when im home and its not unloaded, its not going to go off on its own...

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I carry a brown Jersy glove and after dumping the Pan powder I lower the hammer on it. Keeps moisture out too.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Static could probably set off that powder in the right conditions.....always unload the gun. Better safe than shot or worse...........

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
yup a leather frizzen cover is a must, just need a chip of glowing hot flint to hit that hole to go BOOM....

there was a web site showing that static spark does not set off black powder....they had the static spark right in the pile of powder and nothing happened, repetitivly too with different brands of powders also............bob

·
Registered
9,318 Posts
I have always been on edge leaving my flintlock loaded. I always thought it was possible that it could still go off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I open the frizzen, lower the hammer, and stick a toothpick in the touchhole. I am paranoid about an accidental discharge and the toothpick is my reminder that it is still charged.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts