The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just stopped home for lunch and saw 5 doe down the street from my house from my house. They were probably about 200 yards from where I have my ladder stand. I see this group of 5 or 6 doe often. I noticed one of them has an arrow in her right side just behind what would be a good clean shot. I tried to take a picture but couldnt get to the camera quick enough. Overall she seemed to be moving pretty good.

Good chance I will see them Friday or Saturday while hunting.
If you saw her what would you do?

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
if she still has an arrow in her, you should take her quickly now to save her from a slow agonizing death later. Infection is bound to set in with that arrow still in place.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Take her as soon as I could legally, no questions asked. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My thoughts exactly take her.
Im not worried about the tag, plenty to go around in 2B. Hpefully they come by me. This group of doe like to hang out in the posted land and safety zone area bordering where I hunt.

I am going to share the news with a couple of the other guys that hunt the area and let them know shes out there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
About ten years ago, I found a gutshot doe Suffering horribly. I put her down,then called the warden. He came and inspected her and saw that I was not the original shooter and took her. I don't know if they would still do it that way.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know the local deputy warden pretty well. My property borders one of the biggest open hunting areas in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. I see him quite often so I dont think he would give me a hard time about it.

definitely going to shoot her if I see her, not worried about the tag, just go down and get another one if needed

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Last year (in the area I am going tomorrow) I just got home from Boston at 1pm. My dad and I went to the woods and where I sit is a funnel. I wasn't in my chair for more than 10 minutes and I see a large doe walking below me. Something looked funny on her face. I scoped the doe and saw someone made a very poor attempt at taking her. Who ever shot her took off her front part of her lower jaw. I didnt even think twice.... I took her. Meat was fine and my season was over.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
jmdb25 said:
Last year (in the area I am going tomorrow) I just got home from Boston at 1pm. My dad and I went to the woods and where I sit is a funnel. I wasn't in my chair for more than 10 minutes and I see a large doe walking below me. Something looked funny on her face. I scoped the doe and saw someone made a very poor attempt at taking her. Who ever shot her took off her front part of her lower jaw. I didnt even think twice.... I took her. Meat was fine and my season was over.
I've seen more than one deer in that same condition and my friends have cleaned up a few that were still running around that way in flintlock season. It's why I'll never try for a head shot anymore unless the deer is already mortally wounded.

·
Registered
773 Posts
The correct reply is to call the GC office and report the kill. Do I win something ?

·
Super Moderator
13,510 Posts
Hunterisme said:
The correct reply is to call the GC office and report the kill. Do I win something ?
Yes you win the DOE....

However you unfortunately might have to forfeit the doe and add some of your on doe....For your good deed?????

I agree it is the right thing to do.....

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have never seen a wounded deer in the woods in all the years I have hunted. Hope I dont have to either.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts