The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a wounded buck on my property....I saw him during the second week of the rifle season. He was shot, I believe with a bow in between his neck and front right shoulder. I was able to track him on the first Sunday of the rifle season, I actually picked up a piece of fat or muscle. A nice 8 pt, I could see him limping and trying to lick an area in front of his right shoulder. He made it thru the extended seasons, I jumped him the day after muzzy ended and he seemed to move ok. He has been in front of my house the past few days, I can see what I believe is some fat sticking out of the area in front of his right shoulder. Yesterday he was actually on my fronch porch beaded down. I opened up a window and looked at him. He stared back at me and didn't even move. He has dropped his rack. Eventually he got up, struggled towalk even 20 yds, went into my woods and laid down. What can I do...I know he is dying of gangrene and the last thing i want to see happen is coyotes rip him to shreds. I know this is part of nature but it sickens me to see him suffer like this.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
jrya said:
Thanks...will they come and dispatch the poor thing?
They should, but sometimes it can take awhile to get a response dependent on how busy they are. But this time of year is generally pretty slow ...Hope they do it soon. I can't stand to see em suffer, either.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Wish I never read this. This makes me sick !!
Keep calling the local office until thay get someone out there and put this great creature to rest. It's a testiment to Whitetail deer how much they can endure and still live.
Hope you don't have coyates in the area, hate to see this guy suffer more than he already has.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I would go out and try to approach the deer, if it lets you walk right up to it, call the PGC region office, but it may get up and move off when you approach it, if it goes out of sight I would just leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dwj... that's what i am gonna do...but i know it is dying, right now it still has some strength but it is getting weaker...if i can get close to it i will call the pgc...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
jrya said:
Have a wounded buck on my property....I saw him during the second week of the rifle season. He was shot, I believe with a bow in between his neck and front right shoulder. I was able to track him on the first Sunday of the rifle season, I actually picked up a piece of fat or muscle. A nice 8 pt, I could see him limping and trying to lick an area in front of his right shoulder. He made it thru the extended seasons, I jumped him the day after muzzy ended and he seemed to move ok. He has been in front of my house the past few days, I can see what I believe is some fat sticking out of the area in front of his right shoulder. Yesterday he was actually on my fronch porch beaded down. I opened up a window and looked at him. He stared back at me and didn't even move. He has dropped his rack. Eventually he got up, struggled towalk even 20 yds, went into my woods and laid down. What can I do...I know he is dying of gangrene and the last thing i want to see happen is coyotes rip him to shreds. I know this is part of nature but it sickens me to see him suffer like this.
It's always terrible to find any animal wounded and suffering in the wild. I hope that he recovers but it doesn't sound good. The right thing to do is to make the call the next time you see him stationary where there is some possibility that a WCO can find him and assess the situation.

You "believe" it was a bow shot. I have to ask why it is that you have concluded that this was an archery inflicted wound? First of all, you noticed the wound during the second week of gun season. That would be at least three weeks from the last day of early archery. It's also strange that infection could take this long to make a wild animal this sick. It's now been over three months since the last day of that season. Second, while tracking, you found a piece of tissue that you couldn't tell was whether it was muscle or fat. Pieces of an animal don't generally drop from a wound three weeks after being inflicted. Also, how can you possibly conclude what inflicted the wound on a live wild animal if you couldn't tell whether what you found was muscle or fat?

Maybe it was an arrow (longshot). Maybe it was wounded in a fight with another buck? The position of the wound you describe fits that possibility very well.
Maybe a car was involved? And lastly, it was the gun season when the wound was noticed. Deer are wounded and not recovered by firearms too.

Wouldn't it be better for all hunters for all of us to be more careful with our guesses when something as disturbing as this happens?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Either way this animal is suffering....legal or not I'd take matters into my own hands if the PGC doesn't respond quickly. That's just my personal opinion of what I'd do.

·
Super Moderator
13,777 Posts
1shot2kills said:
Either way this animal is suffering....legal or not I'd take matters into my own hands if the PGC doesn't respond quickly. That's just my personal opinion of what I'd do.
That would absolutely be the incorrect thing to do and you could very well end up being charged with an illegal deer kill.

If the deer has made it this long without dying of the injury it probably isn’t going to die from the injury. The correct thing to do if it continues to hang around is call the WCO and allow him/her to evaluate the deer to determine if it is likely to make it or not.

Wildlife SHOULD NOT be evaluated based on emotions or human perceptions of suffering. Wildlife tend a be lot tougher than people and can typically bounce back from some pretty serious injuries and do just fine.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I have a young doe gimping pretty badly around my place now. Not sure if it was a car or misjump causing a broken leg or what but it happened in the last two weeks. I feel bad for her but its the way of nature. If she makes it, good for her. If not, the scavengers have to eat too. Its the circle of life. Haven't any of you ever see the Lion King?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
btbow..you might be right...i don't know. all i know is that my stomach cringes when i think of him suffering. Mr. Bodenhorn...i would never break the law, a WCO or a cop is gonna put him down. Not me.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
I saw a three legged doe once. She looked fat and healthy.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
R. S. B. said:
1shot2kills said:
That would absolutely be the incorrect thing to do and you could very well end up being charged with an illegal deer kill.

If the deer has made it this long without dying of the injury it probably isn’t going to die from the injury. The correct thing to do if it continues to hang around is call the WCO and allow him/her to evaluate the deer to determine if it is likely to make it or not.

Wildlife SHOULD NOT be evaluated based on emotions or human perceptions of suffering. Wildlife tend a be lot tougher than people and can typically bounce back from some pretty serious injuries and do just fine.

Dick Bodenhorn
Dick....I never said it was the correct thing to do or recommended the OP do this. I know it's illegal and was quite honest when I gave my opinion of what I'd do. I can't say I have personal experience but I've heard far to many stores about the PGC being called and not responding. Call it emotional or whatever you'd like, but I'd put that deer down. I'm more comfortable risking a fine than having the thought in my mind of this same deer being eaten alive by coyotes.

A wounded animal shouldn't suffer. That's another reason we as hunters should always be confident in our shot.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
You seem him in those other seasons,why didn,t you harvest him then?He probably would have been edible then too.I don,t know your case and maybe you were tagged out but you seen him in concurrent seasons and let him walk,why?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
If I would have seen the deer in the season to hunt I would have taken the deer then. Now weeks and weeks went by the deer is still hurt. As for the circle of life haters if this deer has been messed up since Mid. Dec. the coyotes should have got him by now. My theory is that this deer will make it... [censored] he has made it through the majority of the winter.

·
Registered
763 Posts
There a reason he is close to your house. He is safe. He knows it. Do not push him. If you can get him some apples so he don't have to move much. I think he will be fine. If you could get some pictures it would help.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did hunt him....i jumped him once in the rifle season...i only own a little pf property..10 acres...bow hunted him after xmas...didn't see him..30-06 i am hoping you are right...i just got home from work and does are coming out now...hoping to see him soon.

·
Registered
19,642 Posts
We had a nice buck a couple years ago hanging around that was missing the lower part of his hind leg. First month I saw him the section was hanging and bleeding. After that the severed piece dropped off and he was seen often licking the wound
He made it through winter and by spring was able to run as well as any other deer in the herd.
He lived another 2 seasons before someone harvested him during archery season. I never would have thought he could have lasted past the first night I saw him.

The deer on your property has had time to heal. If this was a fatal injury he would have been yote food a long time ago. Let nature play this one out,you just might get a shot at this fella in fall.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts