The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Just thinking it would be a great expansion of opportunity with a very minimal impact on the bear population.
Yes it would be minimal. Most of the bears are denned up by then and although some don't den at all and while some do move most don't go far. I doubt many would be taken. A guy from Crawford county did kill a bear with a flintlock in the regular season.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm sure hardly any would be killed. The ones that are killed would most likely be males or lone females. Probably would be very low harvest. Maybe just open it for a day or two to start with to test the waters.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
That would be cool. I know a rock knocker crew I hunt with sometimes has put bears out during a late season drive.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Obviously, it's a couple weeks away, yet. But the bears we're traveling like nuts around here this past weekend.

A good many years ago, I was walking into my stand in the dark for a late season bowhunt and a fresh set of bear tracks went right past the base of my tree. It was -8 degrees that morning.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
WV is starting this exact thing this upcoming January but I think its only a couple days long you can use flintlock, percussion, long bow, or recurve only and it includes deer and bear

·
Registered
464 Posts
Curly maple
Could you elaborate more on who you suggested this to and what was the reasoning for the answer they gave you?
Just curious, I'm sure they have there reasons
I think it was last year or maybe two years ago we put a nice bear out on a flintlock drive, and another one about 10 years ago. See tracks occasionally .If we targeted more bear type habitat maybe we might do that more often but usually were not pushing what I would consider bear cover.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Curly maple
Could you elaborate more on who you suggested this to and what was the reasoning for the answer they gave you?
Just curious, I'm sure they have there reasons
I think it was last year or maybe two years ago we put a nice bear out on a flintlock drive, and another one about 10 years ago. See tracks occasionally .If we targeted more bear type habitat maybe we might do that more often but usually were not pushing what I would consider bear cover.

I suggested it to the BOC a few years back. The concern then surrounded hibernating bears. It's just like anything else. They can rationalize anything. If they want something, they will have the reasons for it.....or if they don't want it, they will have reasons against it.

There are a number of bears moving during flintlock. I'm sure they would sell a few more bear licenses.

The best opportunity came a couple years ago about a ML bear season in the fall. They chose to move the archery bear season up in an attempt to increase the fall harvest. I'll bet they will extend that season, before we see the flintlock season get the opportunity. I don't mind being wrong on this. I think it would be great! I honestly cant see it happening.

MLing in Pa for some reason is best described as being tolerated. It's a two's company, three's a crowd mentality. Archery and Rifle. ML is odd man out.... just an intruder. If it hadn't been for the want for the inclusion of the mechanical bow, the flintlock season would not have been approved as early as it did. Maybe it never would have been approved? Who knows.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I can see there concern with hibernating bears. I'm sure people would end up shooting some bears that were hibernating/dormant in a visible location. But they do say that alot of pregnant sows should really be starting to hibernate at the time of our regular season bear opens. So the same target population of bears would be the same as the regular season just less of them due to some hibernating. I know that some bears on good food years never actually hibernate but then again would probabaly be mostly males. Taking of males would greatly affect population.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have been reading these post, and it seems 75% of the people here do not have a handle on muzzleloading shooting, loading, ect. With that said, I can see many wounded bears in our forest.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
I have been reading these post, and it seems 75% of the people here do not have a handle on muzzleloading shooting, loading, ect. With that said, I can see many wounded bears in our forest.

When you listen to archers talk how critical it is to know the exact distance to a deer for accurate shot placement with the new bows, IMO, the bear would be better off if a inline ML was taking the shot as he vacates the corn field.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Spend an afternoon at a public range and you'll conclude that there's hardly ANYONE that qualifies to be in the woods with a gun...………..

Still, somehow, we manage to carry on a fairly successful deer season here in PA. I don't think we wanna go THERE with competency testing of the folks participating in each given season.

Go ahead...………..put a bear in front of my flinter !!!! I'll wound him !!! Mortally !!!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts