The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you take a low percentage shot if it was a buck of your dreams?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
No, I've had that situation happen. 150"+ buck in Ohio at 11 yds. I drew back 3 times but couldn't shoot anything but guts, brisket or ***. A minute or so later, he walked out of my life!

I try my best to make good decisions when pulling the trigger because everyone knows that even good shots go bad at times. I've wounded deer when everything seemed perfect.

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
I will be honest if there was a giant standing a little over 40 yards and I knew he wasn’t going to get any closer I would shoot. Yesterday I was practicing with my brother and was shooting great groups at 60 yards. (Not that I would ever shoot that far) Ended the night horribly though. Very last shot I decided to shoot my18-1 with my broadhead at twenty yards and hit the ground in front of it . Couldn’t find the arrow and it’s been eating at me all day. Should of quit while I was ahead.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Nope... wouldn't take the shot... because no matter how nice it might look hanging on the wall if it works out, the thought of how wrong it could have gone would pop into my head every time I looked at it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Would you take a low percentage shot if it was a buck of your dreams?
No! I have passed on the buck of my lifetime twice, do no regret it. Once with a bow and once with a rifle. Better to be able to remember how it occurred than to know you gambled, made a bad hit, then it died a bad death to become buzzards fees.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I guess it depends on what you call a low percentage shot. What might be low percentage for some could be a routine shot for others.
But no, I don't ever take what I consider a low percentage shot for me on anything.

·
Super Moderator
26,947 Posts
The last time I hunted elk was the year before I went to Germany. That year I was on a work trip for the latter half of Summer, initially scheduled to come home in August but got extended until 04 Sept. I was flying to MT on 11 Sep. Since I hadn't been shooting while I was away, I decided to limit myself to 25 yards or less, with maybe out to 30 under ideal conditions.
The second or third day of that hunt I had the herd bull about 25 yards from me but his positioning behind brush or cows never offered a shot. He moved up above me into a wide opening in the trees and brush at approx 40-45 yards. I have a 40 yard pin and typically practice out to 50, but as I was drawn and holding on him I was uncomfortable with the shot and opted to stick to the limitation I put on myself. One of the hardest ethical calls I've ever made was to bring that bow down without attempting the shot. He was a monster!!

To make matters worse, when I lowered the bow is when I noticed the cow standing broadside about 10 yard away, that hadn't yet noticed me. She did notice when I attempted to draw again. 😂

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
I will be honest if there was a giant standing a little over 40 yards and I knew he wasn’t going to get any closer I would shoot. Yesterday I was practicing with my brother and was shooting great groups at 60 yards. (Not that I would ever shoot that far) Ended the night horribly though. Very last shot I decided to shoot my18-1 with my broadhead at twenty yards and hit the ground in front of it . Couldn’t find the arrow and it’s been eating at me all day. Should of quit while I was ahead.
Back when I did a lot of 3D shooting occasionally we would do an unconventional course of shorts to keep things interesting....100 yard elk shot, shooting through brush that no way you would think an arrow could find it's mark....all sort of goofy stuff to keep things interesting. It really was amazing the percentage of those shots, which were ones none of would take at a live animal, found their mark.

One third of P&Y mulies are taken over 40 yards....I would imagine a few at 60+. Seems too far to be shooting at deer to this PA guy, but I guess the western deer hunter has to play the cards he is dealt.:)

·
Registered
18,708 Posts
Depends on what the definition of low percentage is. Everyone has different standards. A shot I may have confidence in someone else may not and would consider it low percentage. For my standards, I would not take a low percentage shot on any animal other than coyotes.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Personal limit on Pa deer is 30 yrds might push it to 35 if hunting a field edge and deer is in the field. Only shot I'll take is broadside or slight quartering away. I will also not take a shot in the last 15mins of shooting light(which again varies with where the deer is). The last thing I want to do is start one of the many "help I hit one but can't find it" posts on here.

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
Back when I did a lot of 3D shooting occasionally we would do an unconventional course of shorts to keep things interesting....100 yard elk shot, shooting through brush that no way you would think an arrow could find it's mark....all sort of goofy stuff to keep things interesting. It really was amazing the percentage of those shots, which were ones none of would take at a live animal, found their mark.

One third of P&Y mulies are taken over 40 yards....I would imagine a few at 60+. Seems too far to be shooting at deer to this PA guy, but I guess the western deer hunter has to play the cards he is dealt.:)
I practice enough and have enough faith in my equipment that I feel I can shoot a deer a little over 40 yards . The deers body language would be a huge factor and also how open of a shot it is. Definitely wouldn’t try and thread the needle at that distance. Basically I would never take a shot I wasn’t comfortable with but a little over 40 is my limit . Furthest shot I have taken so far was 38 yards. Had a clean pass through and watched it do a death run into a tree. Also have had misses as close as 20 yards. Body language, shot angles and obstruction are all the things I am most concerned about from 5 yards to 40 yards.

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
I practice enough and have enough faith in my equipment that I feel I can shoot a deer a little over 40 yards . The deers body language would be a huge factor and also how open of a shot it is. Definitely wouldn’t try and thread the needle at that distance. Basically I would never take a shot I wasn’t comfortable with but a little over 40 is my limit . Furthest shot I have taken so far was 38 yards. Had a clean pass through and watched it do a death run into a tree. Also have had misses as close as 20 yards. Body language, shot angles and obstruction are all the things I am most concerned about from 5 yards to 40 yards.
To be honest, I was always more worried about shot angle on a five yard shot than taking a shot at a deer at my max self imposed distance. More than once I've passed on a shot right under my stand, and in many of those cases never ended up getting a shot I felt comfortable taking.

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
To be honest, I was always more worried about shot angle on a five yard shot than taking a shot at a deer at my max self imposed distance. More than once I've passed on a shot right under my stand, and in many of those cases never ended up getting a shot I felt comfortable taking.
I agree . Also when they are that close I always feel like it’s inevitable that you are going to get busted drawing. I prefer to let them walk away from my tree before I draw.

·
Registered
346 Posts
When releasing the arrow regardless of a deer's size, I want to be 100% confident I can make the shot. If a buck is of trophy size this matters even more for me. Things can and do happen (pulled shot, limbs, deer ducks, etc.); but if I'm saying maybe or hopefully I'm not releasing the arrow. I practice quite a bit and would have zero issue shooting a deer at 40+ if the deer was not on alert and was stopped. I shot my first moose with a bow in NFLD last fall at 75yards. At this point, I would never shoot a deer that far (I know guys do out West), but I was confident when I released the arrow.

I do agree with dpms's comment on "maybe" shots on coyotes. I'll also add, I am in favor of "maybe/hopefully" follow-up shots on deer. If I shoot a deer and it is still visible and on it's feet, I'm trying to get another arrow in it. This can result in long shots through limbs.

·
Registered
9,282 Posts
Given the choice, I'd have all deer stop at 22 yards, angling slightly away!:)
In reality that’s about the average distance most deer are shot at . Only shot three or four deer over 30 yards. The vast majority have been under 25 yards.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Absolutely not. 2 years ago I had a gross booner, double droptine just out of my comfort zone and let him walk. He was killed in rifle season and it still eats at me.

In a few weeks there will be a thread on here asking about bowhunting in the rain. A lot of the responses will be to limit your shots to 20 and in to ensure a clean kill with a short blood trail. If that's all the further you would take a shot in the rain, then why shoot further when it isn't raining because that's the max distance you can kill every time.

·
Registered
13,449 Posts
Everyone's idea of a bad shot is different.

Several years ago I had a big ohio buck catch me off gard, I had to freeze. When he started moving i grabbed my bow but at that point he was walking directly away from me at 30 yds, and i could see horns on both sides of his butt. I didn't shoot but givin that same opportunity now I'd aim about halfway up his tail and let r rip. He wouldn't go far. In my experience that's a deadly shot, and not low percentage, but I'm sure not many would take it.

Straight under the tree, i don't like it, let him walk away and shoot him at 15 yds. If he's getting hinkey, I'll shoot him right under the tree, works fine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts