The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to rent a week at a camp somewhere in PA. Would want to go in mid January. I'm not interested in the commercial campgrounds, but rather a camp that I can live in for a week and hunt squirrel and just walk the woods.
Not sure how to proceed, but thought I'd just throw the question out there. Obviously, I would take care of the place while there and bring my own stuff.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Have you tried looking in to the cabin rentals at State Parks. They have both modern and rustic and they are really nice.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Check with Realtors in the areas you want to go to. I know there are such rentals out there. One of our state congressmen in Harrisburg had such rentals years ago, one of his bordered one of mine. He provided everything but food, you paid in advance, and after your departure someone would come clean the cabin and replace essentials. The place was almost always rented as I recall.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the information. I'll start checking into everything when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
36,194 Posts
Try Howard Hanna in Tionesta. When I was looking for a place there was a realtor there by the name of Marty Taugner who rented out cabins. I believe all were furnished and all you needed to bring was food and maybe afew other things. Most were located in the ANF. Phone number for office- 814-755-3518.

·
Super Moderator
23,750 Posts
jkhunter said:
Have you tried looking in to the cabin rentals at State Parks. They have both modern and rustic and they are really nice.
This is a good way to go. They are nice and very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
There's a guy who lives near my camp that rents out a cabin next to his house. It has well and septic. I don't have the # right off hand and I don't know what he charges but I can try to dig it up for you. This is in Highland Twp, Elk Co. He gets a lot of the ATV riders renting it out because the Marienville trails are less than a mile from us.

·
Registered
399 Posts
My place is so complicated to open and close I couldn't rent it if I wanted to. Guess its because sometimes I never know when I'm coming back. Just have to make sure it is ready for a long cold winter even if I'm leaving in the spring.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
pigstyconrad said:
My place is so complicated to open and close I couldn't rent it if I wanted to. Guess its because sometimes I never know when I'm coming back. Just have to make sure it is ready for a long cold winter even if I'm leaving in the spring.
We have a fairly complicated winter shut-down procedure also. Not bad once you do it several times but I would never trust somebody to do it alone for the first time.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If it gets much more expensive, I may have to start looking into renting mine! New stove, fridge, sump, microwave, flooring, paint, carpet, furniture......LOL.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the responses. I've never done this before and this is the best place to get info.
I understand that I'm an internet unknown and to trust your camp to someone is a big deal. I also understand that shutting a place down and restarting is no small chore.
That said, I appreciate all the info. This place is the best. When I pull this thing together, I'll post a note here and let you know how it went. January will be here in no time!!!

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
blueridgehunter said:
cooks forest state park has some real nice rustic cabins that is available in the winter months!
Ditto, they have some nice and some rustic camps and it's a nice area. Not overly far of a drive and you specifically mentioned squirrel hunting. There are squirrels on the hillsides along the Clarion. Doubt you could do much better than this for what you're looking for.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Worlds End State Park also has cabins . Very nice to rent . Wood stove with wood cut to use with it . You will be pleased with any of the State Park cabins . Good luck .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts