The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
In Arizona it is not illegal to kill rattlers. They are plentiful and when a person gets bit without immediately getting medical attention, ( not being gross) but their whole body blows up like a balloon. Quite painful. Most bits here occur accidentally due to their ability to cancile themselves in natural vegetation. I have even had rattlers come after me in the desert several times. Some can be quite aggressive. Ah, talking about Diamondbacks.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have never killed a rattlesnake even though I have bumped into several over the years. Mostly I am amazed by them and whenever I see one it gives me an appreciation for the fact that I am in a area that is pretty remote.
The only thing that would possibly make me reconsider is if they became a recurring problem at camp. My kids are very young and we also take our dog up there. I don’t have tongs and I am not sure I want to handle a live one. Hopefully I won’t be put in a situation where I have to make a decision like that.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I wouldn't kill one intentionally unless I had no other option. I have a pretty health fear of snakes, but I respect them. Last summer I had my first close encounter with a rattler. It was eye opening for sure, and although it was only 1 encounter it seems to me that they do prefer to escape rather than strike. At least rattlers have an audible warning, Copperheads actually scare me more in that regard. I don't carry any snake shot or anything when I'm out in the woods so I wouldn't even really have the tools to kill one if I wanted to unless I was hunting with a shotgun. If one was near my home I would attempt to have it removed if possible, killing it would be my last resort.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
In Arizona it is not illegal to kill rattlers. They are plentiful and when a person gets bit without immediately getting medical attention, ( not being gross) but their whole body blows up like a balloon. Quite painful. Most bits here occur accidentally due to their ability to cancile themselves in natural vegetation. I have even had rattlers come after me in the desert several times. Some can be quite aggressive. Ah, talking about Diamondbacks.

Actually, at least the way I read the Arizona regs, there are regulations that apply to taking and/or killing of Rattlesnakes, including the requirement of possessing a valid hunting or combination license, as well as a yearly limit of 4, and any number of closed areas, and other areas with a limited, defined season.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Of the four rattlesnakes I have crossed paths with while hunting and scouting only one of them rattled and that was after I watched it slither into a hole between two boulders. That one was actually the furthest away from me .The other three were in striking distance.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Actually, at least the way I read the Arizona regs, there are regulations that apply to taking and/or killing of Rattlesnakes, including the requirement of possessing a valid hunting or combination license, as well as a yearly limit of 4, and any number of closed areas, and other areas with a limited, defined season.
You are correct on license/limit. The following areas I utilize for hunting are as follows: Unit 37A (Tortolita Mtns) for Javelina & 4-wheeling; Unit 36C for Coues Whitetail; Units 22N & 31 for Black Bear and also 22N for Elk (drawn seven times in the last thirteen years). These areas are not restricted except for the limit of four/yr. So what you're saying about the restricted area's within the state is correct, but those restrictions don't apply to the aforementioned utilized area's I hunt/4-wheel in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I usually see 3 or 4 Rattlesnakes every year hiking or scouting off the APPALACHIAN Trail, this year I have already seen 6 , I have never seen one move quickly, they seem to move slowly and coil up and rattle. I have only had one that didn’t ratttle, most rattle before you get within 10 feet. I observe them, take a picture then walk WAY around them with my eyes a little more wide open . The only Copper Heads I ever saw were on the road, this one was close to 4 feet , all the others I saw were less then 2 feet long .
6EC46732-1435-4673-BACE-110488AA4EDC.jpeg
D981696B-DACD-4071-9FEB-C07572B1580F.jpeg
3D779A19-AB86-4384-954C-FBD48D1679E3.jpeg
1D141CD2-4653-4611-A1F3-697584175261.jpeg
FE363A08-662B-4EFA-8181-71C4E8EF8EC0.jpeg

·
Registered
258 Posts
How do you tell a difference from water snake and copperhead? Also I have never killed one and even if I did I would never write about it on the internet

·
Registered
9 Posts
For the exception of having a rattlesnake permit it’s illegal to handle them or kill them.
Just curious what you would do if you found one around your camp or perhaps out on a hike where you may hunt or fish and you were allowed to kill them.
What sparked my curiosity is up at camp I always see one or two dead on the roads and it seems like people are intentionally running them over. Part of me thinks it’s wrong and the other part of me feels like there are too many living around people. Some I have seen killed on the roads were heading straight for someone’s camp or in camping areas where kids ride their bikes and people walk their dogs.
Few things in regards to the outdoors gives me such indecisive feelings as the rattlesnake.
Guess it would depend on the situation whether I would kill one or not if the opportunity presented itself.
How do some of you feel ?
I know there are those out there that love rattlesnakes and would never harm one and there are others that would kill every single one they crossed paths with.
Not really something I would ponder over , BUT if I were on a hike & came across one, Yes it would die, but I would use it for lunch & a hat band.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts