The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
I like seeing them. I don’t work in the woods or have them around the house though. The decision to kill them would depend on the situation but I think I’d let them be. Took my son and nephew out to see some last weekend. DED1B5B5-064A-42A0-8299-AC2A147711EB.jpeg

·
Registered
718 Posts
Different snake and environment all together. Push your propaganda else where. Northern Timber Rattlers are docile and will avoid confrontation from humans. If people would educate themselves on the snakes we have in our state of Pennsylvania, they would lose the fear and possibly respect the resource.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Snake Lives Matter.

Just another example of systemic reptilianism that permeates America. We must ban all guns, defund the zoos, and provide free medical care for all the snakes that have entered the U.S. illegally.

I heard that LeBron James will do The Worm dance during the anthem as a protest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I HATE snakes. But if they leave me alone then I would leave them alone. If they come toward me aggressively then they need to be dealt with. Luckily only ever saw 1 so far on the road to camp and let him go on his way. Watch Leatherwoods Outdoors Rattlers are typically more afraid of you than you are of them.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Not blowing smoke. Most people are bit because they are careless and mishandling the snake. I have handled hundreds of rattlers and am careful when hunting and handling them. Have caught snakes that you could tell were mishandled. Too many people out there rattler hunting that do not know what they are doing. Drinking and handling rattlers do not mix. That is why people are getting bit. Ignorance and lack of education is why people kill a snake just because its a snake. Like I said previously, if in your yard around your family and pets I can understand taking that snake out. More than likely it is going to move on though.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I know what the law says but they don't belong around a cabin or campsite especially when there are kids around!

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
I've never killed one . We have plenty on our camp property. Have a huge rock over the hill where they hibernate and apparently give birth. We always just move them back over the hill into the woods behind the yard at camp. Don't see too many in the yard in the last few years. Buddy removed one from the outhouse under the seat a few years ago. Rattled when he sat down. Wasn't close enough to strike him. I'm always cautious when coming out the front door at night, always carry a flashlight with me. I like them, so far:)

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I don't wait for a mosquito to bite before I swat it.I kill hornets and wasps before they sting.I don't trap and relocate mice.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Strange hypocrisy we have here. Looks like a bunch of know it nothing's.

PaWhitetailHunter,

It's really quite simple. In Pennsylvania, Timber Rattlesnakes are protected, as are Eastern Copperheads. There is an established season and a limit of one of each species. Below is the regulation:

Season - Timber Rattlesnake (as well as Copperheads) June 13 through July 31

1 annual limit - must be at least 42 inches in length, measured lengthwise along the dorsal surface from the snout to the tail, excluding the rattle, and must possess 21 or more subcaudal scales. (There is no length or sex requirement for Copperheads.)

In addition, there are other regs that apply, including:

• A fishing license is required to catch or take reptiles and amphibians from the lands and waters of the Commonwealth. • Unless otherwise indicated, reptiles and amphibians may only be taken by hand, hook, snake tongs, turtle hooks, traps and nets less than four feet square or four feet in diameter. • It is unlawful to take, catch or kill a reptile or amphibian through the use of firearms, chemicals, explosives, winches, jacks or other devices. • It is unlawful to damage or disrupt the nest or eggs of a reptile or to gather, take or possess the eggs of any reptile in the natural environment of this Commonwealth. • It is unlawful to damage or destroy habitat in the pursuit of a reptile or amphibian.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts