The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the exception of having a rattlesnake permit it’s illegal to handle them or kill them.
Just curious what you would do if you found one around your camp or perhaps out on a hike where you may hunt or fish and you were allowed to kill them.
What sparked my curiosity is up at camp I always see one or two dead on the roads and it seems like people are intentionally running them over. Part of me thinks it’s wrong and the other part of me feels like there are too many living around people. Some I have seen killed on the roads were heading straight for someone’s camp or in camping areas where kids ride their bikes and people walk their dogs.
Few things in regards to the outdoors gives me such indecisive feelings as the rattlesnake.
Guess it would depend on the situation whether I would kill one or not if the opportunity presented itself.
How do some of you feel ?
I know there are those out there that love rattlesnakes and would never harm one and there are others that would kill every single one they crossed paths with.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I stay away from them but it seems to me they are getting thicker around here which I am not enamored with. I don't seek them out, quite the opposite, and I run into a few a year. If I lived in the woods no doubt I'd SSS every one that came on my property.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I enjoy snakes and understand the need for them. With that said, here'e my answer. If on my property and could do harm to me or my family, I will kill them if I cannot capture and move to a safe location. If hunting or fishing and come across one, I would NEVER kill it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I remember years ago10-12 years maybe just few miles from here on the mountain in the woods, a crew was digging the ground up for the new gas pipe line they were installing across the county. 1 of the workers was in the pit when the dozer was digging more than 1 rattle snake got to 1 of the crew workers and bite him. He didn't survive.

Growing up in the 70's use to listen to a song. Spider and Snakes. I got over being afraid of spiders, but snakes not a chance. To be honest I have not come across alive rattle snake, copper heads yes. I was fly fishing in the 90's Spring creek outside of Bellefonte waded in water just below my waste, seen 2 snakes on other side of bank. Copper heads for sure, I didn't pay attention to them, they don't get in water, seconds later BS they were swimming to me, in that deep of water in waders it's hard to move fast, I reacted pulled out the 357 loaded with birdshot, they were close as the water splashing on me and another fisherman came down to me, shook my hand and said this area is loaded with them. I was stunned, I never thought they go in water, I found out that's not true. I never went back there ever since.

·
Registered
718 Posts
The snakes you guys are seeing around your camps are just passing through. If you take a stick or other object just move them along and they should not show up again. If by chance one would feel threatened to oneself or family and pets then it is understood other measures must be taken.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have never heard of the worker being bit on the pipeline and dying Cubcadet. The most recent death from a rattler bite that I know of was the one in Elk County of a man being bit at his campfire and he died from anaphylactic shock. As for your experience at Spring Creek I would bet they were northern water snakes.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Rattle and copper heads inside my DCNR camp lease need to be dealt with and removed. All other snakes, black rat, guarder, etc are welcome, good mousers and chipmunk removers. Any snake I come across outside the camp area gets a pass too. I figure it's their home and if they're no danger to my dog or family members I won't bother them.
I come across more rattlers each year around camp. The first thing I do when arriving is take a walk/look around, then leave the dog out of the truck and open camp. My son and family live in the mountains, he see's very few rattlers, but has copperhead problems every year. Except for the dogs no one has gotten bit yet, Thank God, he has had a couple sick puppy dogs a couple of time, but they have always survived, unlike the copperheads, the dogs have killed every one.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have never heard of the worker being bit on the pipeline and dying Cubcadet. The most recent death from a rattler bite that I know of was the one in Elk County of a man being bit at his campfire and he died from anaphylactic shock. As for your experience at Spring Creek I would bet they were northern water snakes.
They were copperheads for sure. The other fisherman was an older gentlemen a retired PSU professor and we looked them over to be certain. I know what a water snake is, seen hundreds of them in my life fishing.

The death happen on Centre hall mt. in centre hall, pa. heard about it throughout the valley and was in the centre daily times paper. The crew were not from around here, out of state that I do remember too.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
No, never kill rattler or any snake. Very rare for somebody to be bitten by a snake they were not messing with. If you use the justification that they might hurt you or your family then you better start killing everybody you see texting while driving because thats a REAL danger to you and yours.

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
For the exception of having a rattlesnake permit it’s illegal to handle them or kill them.
Just curious what you would do if you found one around your camp or perhaps out on a hike where you may hunt or fish and you were allowed to kill them.
What sparked my curiosity is up at camp I always see one or two dead on the roads and it seems like people are intentionally running them over. Part of me thinks it’s wrong and the other part of me feels like there are too many living around people. Some I have seen killed on the roads were heading straight for someone’s camp or in camping areas where kids ride their bikes and people walk their dogs.
Few things in regards to the outdoors gives me such indecisive feelings as the rattlesnake.
Guess it would depend on the situation whether I would kill one or not if the opportunity presented itself.
How do some of you feel ?
I know there are those out there that love rattlesnakes and would never harm one and there are others that would kill every single one they crossed paths with.
I am going to attack this from a different perspective. I don’t need a Government permit to kill a snake on my property. If I found one around my camp I would kill it or remove it and take it to a remote location. Killing it would be a much safer endeavor. If I was on a hike or away from my home, I would simply walk around it. I don’t understand the intentionally driving over a snake on the road. I have enough things to keep my eye on while driving so I am not looking for a freaking snake. It is like being at the grocery store where they expect you to read the floor to see what direction you should walk. I do not read grocery store floors and I do not look for snakes crossing the road.

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
The snakes you guys are seeing around your camps are just passing through. If you take a stick or other object just move them along and they should not show up again. If by chance one would feel threatened to oneself or family and pets then it is understood other measures must be taken.
How does one know if a snake is passing thru, lives there, wants to munch leg, or will settle for a toad? Oh wait, if it’s around a camp...Thank You.

Reactions: ruger300

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
... remove it and take it to a remote location...
This is the same thing as killing it. Venomous snakes return to a communal den for the winter, if they can't find the den they die. Hence when you see one there is a reasonable chance the snake is either dispersing away from the den for summer or returning to it for the fall, so passing thru, and then you also have the males traveling during the mating season.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts