The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many bear sighting now where I hunt coyotes.. Typical juvenile bears hitting the bird feeders in both local townships I hunt. As you know just like a teenage boy the bear that are 100+ pounds are the most dangerous compared to the adult bears. Ah teeners always feeling they have to prove something and are sewing their wild oates. So I have hunted coyotes in June. both times I have called in black bears with the dying rabbit distress call. Your opinon on night time calling or early morning calling for coyotes when the media is broadcasting the bears are everywhere? I never saw it so bad with the developments and areas that they are being seen in Cumberland county. Rabbit the chicken of the 4 legged mammal..

·
Registered
22,277 Posts
Last archery season,my son ad I were walking in to hunt when we caught a buck bedded down.It stood up,I ranged it at 38 yards and my son made a good shot on it.Not knowing how good the shot was,we decided to heads to our stands and deal with the buck later.Not 30 minutes into the sit,big doe comes out and my son shot her.She circled behind his stand and dropped 35 yards away into some autumn olive.Within a few minutes,a decent sixed bear came directly under him,saw him and went ballistic.Long story short,I was about 400 yards way and had no cell service so I had no idea what was going on.The bear kept him pinned up in the tree for over an hour.Right at dark,the bear started to shake the stand and then climbed strait up to the platform.At that point he started to yell for me and buy the time I climbed down and got up there.the bear was still on the ladder.It didn't leave until I got about 40 yards from the tree.I still have no idea what the bear's intentions were but it had no fear of him what so ever.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many bear sighting now where I hunt coyotes.. Typical juvenile bears hitting the bird feeders in both local townships I hunt. As you know just like a teenage boy the bear that are 100+ pounds are the most dangerous compared to the adult bears. Ah teeners always feeling they have to prove something and are sewing their wild oates. So I have hunted coyotes in June. both times I have called in black bears with the dying rabbit distress call. Your opinon on night time calling or early morning calling for coyotes when the media is broadcasting the bears are everywhere? I never saw it so bad with the developments and areas that they are being seen in Cumberland county. Rabbit the chicken of the 4 legged mammal..
I do a 357 mag Dan Wesson with Cabelas brand Black Bear Ammo.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Years ago we were calling coyote at night with a dying rabbit call up in N. Maine. Had a black bear come in, behind us. We didn't know he was there until we heard his heavy breathing. I don't know who was more shocked - us or the bear. He ran like a rabbit, but had us cold if he wanted. Never had one come in to a call here in PA though.

Larry

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have spent a lot of time out there, using red lights until this past year.
In 15 years of fox hunting I never have seen a bear and there are quite a few in my area.
It’s not something I think about but it would be a neat experience.

·
Registered
Ravin R9
7,163 Posts
I have spent a lot of time out there, using red lights until this past year.
In 15 years of fox hunting I never have seen a bear and there are quite a few in my area.
It’s not something I think about but it would be a neat experience.
It is a neat experience but also a little alarming, years ago I was archery hunting on the ground and at first light had a Huge
Bear walk up to within 20 yards of me. He showed no aggression towards me just my fanny pack he mauled around for a while
that was sitting under my stool. He was heading straight for me so I got up and walked away doing the shoo Bear dance.
Felt a bit helpless standing there with only my Compound Bow.

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Remember now the neighborhood is now had multiple sightings.. I hunt close by in woodlots where they have destroyed bird feeders.
The bears are here. So odds are greater now that one will come to food sounds. Not like l am talking bears in general coming to calls. They do love the dying rabbit sound. Just be careful in summer. Get some of that Cabelas Bear Ammo unless you have a good pistol round that will anchor them.

·
Registered
12,558 Posts
I often play with the call while hunting or scouting. My only concern is if I'm sitting I appear as a much smaller target than if I'm standing and I have been concerned that a bear could be on top of me before I realize it is there. You never know how an animal will react when startled.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
...I'll have to give dying rabbit sound a try for coyotes...
I've only seen bears 1 time while coyote hunting at night...and all three of them were in a huge red oak breaking the branches off...dropping them to the ground...then climbing down to eat the acorns.

Reactions: Potter Co. Joe
1 - 20 of 58 Posts