·
Registered
6,416 Posts
MtAiryEd said:
Strut10 said:
mgp629 said:
stinks that it is dead
Why ?
I think it's all been said before about whether folks should kill a big, trophy fish. You can refer back to countless pages of threads here.
OK, Thanks. I'll have to look those threads up. I must have missed them.

Just saying.......... If I caught that fish I'd no more throw him back than I'd try giving the Hanson buck mouth-to-mouth and return it to the woods. He's going on my wall !!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yeah, as Ed mentioned this discussion seems to be the only one that routinely plays out on this site.

Believe it or not, a half dozen other fish that size and bigger were released last year. I don't think most people fault these guys since they are not even musky fishermen; however, it is the mentality that all big fish belong on the wall that keeps musky guys from posting on public Forums like this one. Its too bad really.

·
6,450 Posts
careful strut that's worse than bringing up I should be able to shoot a spike........lol

·
Registered
943 Posts
If you wanna shoot a spike have at it, it can be replaced in a year right? Even the Hanson buck was what 5 to 8 years old tops? Trophy muskies (top end size varies depending on state) take about 3 to 4 times that long to replace.

Listen, we know we aren't going to win this argument on here. The only new threads that come on here are like this. That fish was old, it was kept and I really don't care that they did. Just keep in mind that fish may have been released 4 or 5 times before they caught it so it could get that big. And yes that is definitely a true trophy fish.....congrats to the anglers that caught it.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Whoa !!

Didn't realize I was cruising for an argument. Not my intention at all.

Never caught a musky in my life. Tons of Northerns, though. Let all the Northerns go unless I need one for a shore lunch. But my biggest was about 12 lbs. Nice fish but not a fish I feel I need to have mounted. Were I to land a 20 or 30 pounder........it's going on the wall !! Kinda like a buck. I don't shoot them unless they're going on the wall. But 3-6 years for a buck or 20 years for a pike or musky are irrelevant to me. It's a mature critter. It made me happy to take it. It'll make me happy to take it and have it displayed in my home.

YMMV.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Although I practice catch and release with most fish, I'd have to say that it is up to the angler to decide what they want to do. Personally. I'd weigh it, measure it. Take really good photos and go for the replica. Knowing it broke the record would be good enough for me, but would never fault any angler for their choice. It wouldn't be worth it to me to kill a fish, not eat it, just to have my name in a book or trophy on the wall.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
58 pounds? i thought there had been several caught in the 60's? i know the louis spray fish was disqualified, but were there not some others in the 60's?

·
Registered
943 Posts
yellodog said:
58 pounds? i thought there had been several caught in the 60's? i know the louis spray fish was disqualified, but were there not some others in the 60's?
The record is for the modern age due to all of the issues with the old records being verified. Finding out now that most of those old records are unreliable at best. They basically said screw it we'll come up with our own record system staring now. I don't think it is a good thing because those old records were close to untouchable. I think the Lawton 69lb 11+/-oz may still be in tact as a NY record even though it has long been DQ as a world record.

PA still recognizes a 54lb 3oz fish caught in 1924. I think that fish was 59 inches, and I don't know of any confirmed reports of a 55+ in recent times from PA. Many times low 50's are kept by people thinking it is a record, often times finding that the fish doesn't make 40lbs and sometimes finding that since the fish was measured by stretching a tape over the fish rather than taking a true measure it isn't even a 50.

For those curious a PA muskie would probably have to be a minimum of 55 inches long and have a 28+ inch girth to have a chance at being the record. Shorter fish might make it with bigger girths and longer with smaller girths, but that gives you an idea. Keep in mind that fish with girths greater than half the length are pretty rare most times of year. In Dec I caught and released a very fat 48 X 24 fish that would have only weighed in the mid-30's.

If someone wants to keep a trophy fish for the wall that is their decision. Although I would remind them that replicas are available. Yes I know they can be more expensive, but if your not 100% sure it is worth mounting it is a good option to consider releasing it and paying a bit more cuz you can mount any time down the road when you make up your mind or have the money. Many people have caught what they thought was surely a trophy musky for the wall, and then after reading up on the subject or consulting with the taxidermist, they became less happy with their fish because it was a nice fish but nothing special. Then they decided not to mount the fish and it goes to waste in the freezer. I don't think many would argue that that situation is a shame.

Trophy musky fishing and trophy hunting are simply different. There are no posted signs, baiting or food plots. Everyone is on the same playing field. I love killing a trophy buck and I love eating venison, but fishing is different.....I love eating fish (but I stick with selective harvest of easily replenished species), but I get a real kick out of having the opportunity to catch a trophy fish and release it because I know there is a good chance someone else will get to have that same thrill someday......or better yet, I'll catch her again. Really a good discussion to have every once in a while, and believe it or not I don't have strong feeling against those who think differently. But if someone new to the sport is reading this and trying to make up their own mind what to do, I hope I swayed them our way lol!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Strut - Those northerns are a ton of fun to catch, guessing mostly Canada? I have eaten them as well up there, and there is nothing quite like a fresh fish meal in Canada! Not sure why it would be, but the pike I ate were very tasty. I tried pickerel a time or 2 and was not very impressed. Never ate a musky, but for slimyness & fishy smell they seem on pace with the pickerel more than the pike.

I have heard of people eating muskies back when CPR was unheard of. They say it is not bad, but I think most will agree that in general the longer/older/bigger a fish is the less desirable it is for table fare compared to smaller fish.

Most pike shore lunches follow that too, taking the smaller more abundant pike for a meal and letting the bigger ones go. Pike unlike muskies seem more prone to overpopulate where natural reproduction occurs and produce less than desirable "hammer-handles."

Selective harvest gets a little hard to practice what I preach with walleyes lol, but I do it with them too. Right now those big females are stacked up and you can hurt them pretty good. Last Sat before we began targeting bigger fish we wanted a few for the pan. I only caught 2, a sub-20 inch male & a bloated 21-inch female. She didn't get the grease release, although she was at the border line of the size I make sure to release. Especially when I'm hungry for fresh fish.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Yep.

Most of my northern fishing is done in far western Ontario.

Sure would like to get on the water for some of those "stacked up" females. That would be a catch & release deal for the heavies. Sure could go for a few "eatin size" 'eyes though !!

Don't know if I'll get the boat wet any time soon though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts