The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I have been coyote hunting for a long with very little success. I hunt in Schuylkill Co and Tioga/Lycoming. I hunt in mostly big wood areas, or near mature clear cuts. I try to hunt on edges of open areas within the woods, but rarely can see more than 100yrds. I use a fox pro caller. Usually fawn in distress/rabbit in distress sounds. I play for about 3-5 mins then wait about 25 mins. Play sequence one more time for a minute or two then wait another 10-15 mins. I take all the precautions I read on here and other articles. Hunt areas with sign, Full Camo, cover scents, approach silently, sit extremely still. I feel that working the wind may be my achielies heel. I usually try to walk in areas with the wind in my face and when I actually call I usually sit downwind of my caller or have partner downwind. Now this is not always the case, but I try. Any advise or suggestions. With the amount of time I have put in over the years, I feel like I should have had more encounters.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Gee, I guess that I am not the only one. I haven't had many opportunities to be out. I work midnight shift and it severely limits my nights that are available to hunt.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Are you calling fox? Consistently calling Coyotes around .pa is tough imo. Unless your inside their core home area your mostly going to call one in that's passing thru, or in that area for another reason such as food.
If you find an area where the coyotes are always at, their there on different days and /times that's probably their general "core" area. Find those areas and call them, your attitude is much better knowing their around that p articular area a bunch!
Imo Fox numbers are much more abundant , making them much more common on stands! That's My Opinion!

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've been trying for 6 years for coyotes with only a handful of encounters. Once I had 3 come in at the same time and never shot. I was waiting for them to stop and pose,guess what, they don't do that to often,lesson learned. If you see them,shoot, don't expect them to run up to you. I can't help but think about all the ones I called in and never saw! There very tough in the big woods.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I wouldn't wait 25 minutes between calling. Run your distress for the 3-5 minutes wait 8-10 minutes then call again with another distress either the same on or a different one you could even use a grey fox distress but increase the volume, wait 8-10 minutes then hit a female invitation howl then sit and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
buck colmen said:
If you see them,shoot, don't expect them to run up to you.
Funny you should mention this..A coworker was telling me today he called one in the other night and stopped at 300 yards. He had the crosshair on him but wanted to get him closer. He never came closer but went into the woods instead. Never saw it again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I usually call at day break and a few more calls afterwards and I make a call or two in the late evening. I have never hunting them at night... being that I am in woods, not fields,,, not calling seems even more difficult.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yea they come to 300 and leave or never stop walking, another point to why you need a powerful centerfire, sure you could take one with a 22 but like you said they dont stop and pose very often.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts