The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Their website doesn't seem to be working nor is their much feedback from this outfitter... Be careful.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I spoke to the owner when that was first posted...he had all the right answers and sounded like an outfitter/guide who was doing the right thing. I inquired about a hunt for that year but he was full....when I went to make plans for the following year his site was down and I had just assumed it didnt work out. Just my personal experience....

Sab

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
I do not believe they are still in business. They were regulars at the Sportsmans Show in Harrisburg but they were not there this year. When I asked a buddy of mine who works for an outdoor company he said they went under.

GBJ

·
4,253 Posts
I don't think they are in business anymore but my experience was so-so at best.

Let me say, I didn't expect one of those places like Lee & Tiffany stay at so my expectations for lodging weren't high. That said when we arrived we stayed in an old trailor that was a bit beat up. For breakfast he bought Hostess doughnuts and cereal to keep in the kitchen.

He would pick us up in his S10 Blazer (4 guys with bows is tight!) and drop us off at pre-setup treestands. Mostly over a pile of corn. What I noticed about the stands I was in, is they were not very strategically placed. As I sat in the stands I saw far better places for the stands. My guess is they were good the first year he started doing it and so he put them in the same tree every year. Over all it was an ok experience, didn't see a lot of deer. Friend of mine shot an 8 point that the owner claimed he couldn't recover because it was on another persons property. This was after only 35 minutes of following a good blood trail(on the first day he told us the owners of that property lived in Florida and it was ok for him to go there, so that wasn't the issue). Not very ethical to leave a deer.

The last day his 10 year old son took me on a quad to a spot that at first he couldn't find. When I got there I said those look like far shots and he said "the deer will come out on the bottom, put your pin 5 inches high and then shoot"

Needless to say it wasn't a great experience but for my very first out of state/outfitter hunt I was satisfied. Went with 2 great friends so it was worth it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the information. My dad talked to Shane at the 2010 sportsman show. Again said the right things to my dad. Still not sure what to do.

·
Banned
652 Posts
His daughter and son will take you to spots on quads, as said alot of baiting. For the price it's a good deal I saw some nice bucks just to far. Shane and his family are good people but his personality is not very upbeat. JMO

·
4,253 Posts
Don't let my post come off as too negative. Overall it was just good being out with the guys, besuides it was the first time any of us went out of state or with an outfitter.

When I went he let us take our own climbers (I didn't have one at the time). My one friend was able to hunt any tree he wanted in the area Shane took him. Said he saw 2 "monster" buck just couldn't get a shot.

There were definately some negatives but heck, I think we paid $400 (including license)it was worth that much.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have you decided on whether or not to use this guide service? There are several guides services in Ohio, I have not used them but I have hunted Ohio for the last 11 years with some success and I have payed attention to certain outfitters in the area that I have hunted in. The bottom line with outfitters is you get what you pay for most of the time. One guide service that I would look into is Southeast Guide Service http://www.southernohiooutfitters.com/main.htm
If you are willing to spend some time and research Ohio has alot of public ground,and Wayne National Forest to hunt in with good big deer potential.

If the reviews of an outfitter are mediocre at best stay away from them you can do better yourself.

Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts