The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
If that's the case, then it's a very good deal. Where in today's world can one find a company that pays great bennies, offers retirement and a long term commitment and chance for advancement for loyal, conscientious workers. Not many opportunities like that left.
They have had "help wanted" signs out forever, as has the foundry next door, which is a union shop for those wanting to get into a union.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
They have had "help wanted" signs out forever, as has the foundry next door, which is a union shop for those wanting to get into a union.
People change jobs these days like I change my underwear, as in most things today they want instant gratification. The idea of starting at the bottom, working harder than the next guy, learning more than the next guy, voluntarily working out of class, working their way up the chain of command, seems to be a thing of the past. Not entirely their fault, as I said above not many places left that offer that opportunity.

·
Administrator
30,493 Posts
there is no way a new guy should get what the veteran employees make. they start at the bottom and earn their way to the top. Unions just want everyone at top dollar so the union collects more in membership fees.
Ironically, unions are also the reason a low on the seniority totem pole worker can't get ahead, no matter how knowledgeable, dependable, and productive they are.

I'll start by saying that I have been part of two contract negotiations for a union. With that said I struggle with this. I originally felt the same way you guys do however it was brought to my attention that the more senior union members do get benefits that a new hire doesn't. Initially anyway. Those benefits are, maybe 2, 3, 4, 5 or even 6 weeks vacation and seniority to bid on more desirable jobs that may even pay more.
I have also worked for a union that did pay senior employees up to 10 dollars more an hour, which I can no longer agree with. Most senior employees do have more wisdom but not all. And in a physical job like construction some of the older guys just can't work as hard as they used to. There are still young men out there that can work their butts off. I no longer believe they should be paid less to do more work, in some cases.
Some places have quota's, if a guy with six months can put out just as much product and the quality meets spec then why should he be paid less?
Just relating my experience, not looking for an argument.
I have never understood why seniority takes precedence over performance. Seen it way too many times where the guy that's been doing just enough to not get fired gets the next promotion simply because he has seniority over the guy that busts his butt and produces.
I worked for les than a year in the signal department for Conrail, having gotten the job through the PA job service because I had to register with them when I signed up for UC after getting out of the AF. Which BTW I was denied, but that's a different story.
I got a notice from the job service about the RR job and had to go take an electronics aptitude test for it. After the test they kept a dozen or so of us who scored highest behind for "mini-interviews" as they called them. A week later I got a call for an interview in Elizabeth, NJ at the division HQ. At that interview they told the three of us there that the test we took was the same test they are currently giving for the open Electronics Tech position, and that the three of us had scored higher than any current employee that's taken the test. But, we wouldn't be able to put in for that position until after 3 or 6 months (don't remember which) probation period has ended. After getting hired, there were a couple of guys in our section getting ready to test for that position. The guy I worked with was one of them, and he spent his day sitting in the truck studying while I dug trenches with a spade. Even though that pissed me off, I was hoping he'd get that position because he was pretty knowledgeable in electronics. He scored a 90 something on the test, highest out of anyone eligible who took the test. The guy that got the job scored exactly a 70. But he had ONE day seniority over the first guy.
About a year after I quit the railroad I ran into one of our supervisors. He told me that even though we made good money and had good benefits, I made the best choice in quitting. He said because of the seniority, I wasn't going to get ahead for a long long time. Two of us started the same day, and were the first people hired from the outside in nine years, and the other guy was about 10 years older than me. I was thee very bottom of that totem pole. No matter how smart I was nor how well and hard I worked, there would be no upward movement for me, because the union wouldn't let it happen.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
there is no way a new guy should get what the veteran employees make.
So, can I assume you're against equal pay for equal work?
What if the new hire is a woman doing the same job as a man, should she be paid less?
The company I retired from when those up for a promotion or bidding on a position the tie breaker was seniority if all the applicants were equally qualified.

·
Registered
25,714 Posts
So, can I assume you're against equal pay for equal work?
What if the new hire is a woman doing the same job as a man, should she be paid less?
The company I retired from when those up for a promotion or bidding on a position the tie breaker was seniority if all the applicants were equally qualified.
nope..not at all. i like equal pay for equal work. then why do a lot of non union places have "starting wage" which isnt close to what senior staffers make ?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
IMHO, employees should be compensated based upon their work & contributions to the organization. Not on time at the organization.
Why does anything else make sense.

·
Registered
25,714 Posts
yep...thats why they have a "probation" period. get paid less and then get a raise if you make it thru and show the company what you can do for them. we had some great officers while they were on Probation, but once off, some of them became slugs overnight now that they had union protection.

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
The best day of my life was... after working out of class for two and a half years, and then getting the promotion to the management position I'd been filling retroactive back those two and a half years, demanding my fair share union dues be paid back to me by the union. :LOL:

·
Registered
952 Posts
The company could hire on lots of new workers, rather than having fewer people, working 80 hours a week.

If they offered $30 an hour, with decent benefits, they would have huge numbers of applicants.
Doubt it. Where I work they cant even get people to apply with a starting rate of $28 an hour. Society today just doesn't want to work bc the Gov hands out free money.

·
Registered
25,714 Posts
Bo, have you looked up what you'd be making now?
3% a year since 2015 is all the raise i would have got. its a union position and the raises average 3%. when i left, i was making almost 23.00 an hour (county prison)

41 - 60 of 74 Posts