The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is going to be in the Highland Twp, Elk Co area Sun-Tues and wants some good exercise, I'll be up at my camp cutting firewood during that time. I pay in beer.

I need to get four more trailer loads and I should have a full woodshed (2 years worth of wood) It wil be nice just to get up there a few days even if I have work to do.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, no thanks to all you lazy bums, I managed to turn a near empty woodshed into this.....

I hurt from my head to my feet. I started cutting Sunday morning and got the last load Monday morning. Then I had to split and stack everything. I finished stacking the last of five rows this morning. Despite the strenuous work, I had a good couple of days. I say several deer, a sow bear that appeared to me to be pregnant. She was sticking out on the sides more than having that pot belly. I saw 7 gobblers and a hen and several of this little guy...

He crossed the road with four or five of his nest mates. I got to do a little impromptu dog work and let Trip out of the truck. He located them pretty quick in the thicket off the road and held a pretty point. Of course, I left my camera in the truck and didn't get a pic of the point. I'm tired and sore but at least I won't feeze this winter.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Always a great feeling to have the woodrack full (mines emptyz0...almost makes you wish for cold weather and shorter days. ALMOST!!!

Nice work! Hope you heel before the bird hunt!

·
Registered
25,475 Posts
As the old saying goes, "Wood warms you twice."

Nothing more satisfying than a full woodshed and it looks like you'd be pretty happy in that regard?

My cousin and I pretty much had the camp woodshed filled back on Memorial Day weekend, but I'm sure he's found/cut more wood by now? Some for there, most for me to tote home for the woodstove. He has an advantage, since he lives nearby and has time.

I now mostly burn "ironwood" (hop hornbeam) in the camp stove. Plenty of it around the place, along with sugar maple, ash and hickory, from blow-downs or fallen branches from windstorms.

Ironwood is almost like burning coal, since it will burn all night in the stove. Only drawback, is that you need to cut and split it while it's green. Once it cures, it is almost like iron and will dull a saw chain right quick. Since most of what we cut is no bigger than about 3" in diameter, most doesn't need split.

Need to get with it on the home firewood, because I only have about two cords left from last winter. But at least two more cords already split, up at camp and waiting to be fetched home this fall.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Running a saw for 12 hours a day makes it hot in any kind of weather. I have probably 95% beech with a little maple and cherry mixed in. I also cut up some yellow birch but its pretty stringy when its green. I covered the logs with a tarp and will split them next year.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I bet you lost a little weight if you are not already lean and mean, and tightened up those guns and abs.......

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
"Well, no thanks to all you lazy bums, I managed to turn a near empty woodshed into this....."

You posted your request for help too late. I was in Warren County all weekend. Just think of all the beer money you saved.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eddie spaghetti said:
"Well, no thanks to all you lazy bums, I managed to turn a near empty woodshed into this....."

You posted your request for help too late. I was in Warren County all weekend. Just think of all the beer money you saved.
Actually, my buddy, Bubba was at his camp and agreed to help me after I explained I only needed him to run the log splitter. When he found out it only required using one hand and the other was free to hold the beer I was providing, he was with me for the long haul.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
DennyF said:
As the old saying goes, "Wood warms you twice."

Nothing more satisfying than a full woodshed and it looks like you'd be pretty happy in that regard?

My cousin and I pretty much had the camp woodshed filled back on Memorial Day weekend, but I'm sure he's found/cut more wood by now? Some for there, most for me to tote home for the woodstove. He has an advantage, since he lives nearby and has time.

I now mostly burn "ironwood" (hop hornbeam) in the camp stove. Plenty of it around the place, along with sugar maple, ash and hickory, from blow-downs or fallen branches from windstorms.

Ironwood is almost like burning coal, since it will burn all night in the stove. Only drawback, is that you need to cut and split it while it's green. Once it cures, it is almost like iron and will dull a saw chain right quick. Since most of what we cut is no bigger than about 3" in diameter, most doesn't need split.

Need to get with it on the home firewood, because I only have about two cords left from last winter. But at least two more cords already split, up at camp and waiting to be fetched home this fall.
"Warms you twice" ? I was thinking about that last week at camp laying wood in, got hot cutinng it, got hot hauling it in from the woods, got hot splitting it, got hot stacking it. More like it warms you 5 times.
Gonna haul that nasty Tioga wood down to Cumerland County Denny? Just don't haul our Cumberland County bugs back up there. I have some nice locust at home I'd haul to camp but hate the idea of taking bugs up there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts