The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago, I bought a lot of antler at yard sales and flea markets when ever I could pick it up cheap. ( lived in Virginia then) Over the years I made things from the antler. Belt buckles, buttons, powder measures, priming flasks etc. Even turned a few napkin rings from Moose. Of the spatulated antler I acquired, some pieces had very thin solid layers over the pith and other had very thick solid over the pith. One in particular once cut and buffed took on a beautiful translucent tortoise shell amber color. I long ago used that up and never saved a piece. Now I can't seem to find another piece like it. I have examined caribou, fallow deer and even a moose shed, they just are not the same. The stuff I am referring too, was not as brittle when cut and it cut easily with a diamond grit hole saw. Any body may know what other type of antler it may have been?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sounds like goat or sheep horn. Use sheep horn on pocket knives once in awhile can see through it when polished. Might be able to get from local butcher. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts