The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
We have two scheduled work weekends, fall and spring. If you dont make either you are fined 18 dollars. For most is cheaper than the gas to and back1

·
Registered
615 Posts
partnerships rarley work I own my own ..no guests just family & we hunt on our land only .... neighbors are welcome to hunt & stop by for a few cool ones

·
Registered
964 Posts
We built our current one in about 88 and pretty much left it unfinished but liveable. We've done a lot of finishing work in the past couple years now that we're both retired. New roof, improve road, painted the entire exterior, finished the interior, built a huge woodshed,replace gas lights and fridge etc. etc. I think we'll soon be back to the point where we'll just go up to enjoy it again, but doing the work has been satisfying.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
My camp is owned by the wife and myself. There are a couple of guys with keys but they have no monetary involvement or say in dissensions, so getting help with maintenance is primary our responsibility.
I do hold a work/play party weekend every fall and most with keys show up at some time. I don't get too upset if they don't, knowing that all are young guys just starting out with young families, life has it's priorities.n They may get some ribbing come bear season if they don't though.
Hopefully I will be able to do most of the work for another 10 years or so. I'll be 75 by then , but I'll have a couple of grandsons that will be in their early teens that can help with some of the chores also. So hopefully everything will continue to say in tip top shape.

·
Super Moderator
1,738 Posts
There is almost always something to get done at our camp also. The firewood cutting is almost finished. After the Labor Day weekend the stove and pipes get cleaned. The whole inside gets cleaned and ready for the hunting season. You know what they say "Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail".

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
Yep,my roofing days are over.Well I think I'll be able to handle the 8x12 shed roof in the yard
Might tackle putting new roll roofing on dad's BBQ pit (mountain stone/steel insert w/cast iron grills) roof? I now mostly use if for the wood shed.

It isn't that big and I don't need a ladder, since the pit thing is built into the bank. Back side of roof ain't but a foot off'n the top of the bank, so it's just one step up onto the thing.

Assumin' I can still get up the trail on top of the bank?

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
RidgwayCamper said:
My reply to this question is a quote from one of my favorite movies Jermiah Johnson. When asked "were it worth the trouble" he replies "Ah, what trouble?"
"You make good rabbit pilgram"That was a great movie.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
threeinchmag said:
I don't know about you guys but there's always work at camp.Maintenance, upgrades and habitat improvements are non stop.Some I talk to are getting sick of it and others feel it's worth it.Your thoughts?
There is something about doing work at camp versus at home that makes it much more enjoyable...

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I can never sit too long so I need a list of chores. If they get done great, but if my kids say Dad lets go to the stream... I'm done working.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts