The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about you guys but there's always work at camp.Maintenance, upgrades and habitat improvements are non stop.Some I talk to are getting sick of it and others feel it's worth it.Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
i really do not mind all the work but some weekends i just go up and relax- i will not spend all my weekends working up there- things will get done in time-

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a friend that has a beautiful log cabin but doesn't go up anymore because of all the work, that's ashame.
Hang in there potter you'll get one.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
You can only get what you put into it. I brought up 2 cords split of all hardwood, dropped it off trout weekend, (big scheduled event for cabin). Only the same guys help, than others use it for camp fires etc.. Througout the summer, come September, it's a cord and half maybe less. Same guys just say we might need some more wood! Yet there's 2 ton of coal 25 feet from cabin door. Oh that costs money, we don't wanna use that. Yet if you fill the buckets up and bring them in for em they'll keep the place 100 degrees. Cause they add too much and open it wide so to keep it going.

·
Registered
81 Posts
bruin, ya thats something u almost always run into. i was in simialar boat. when theres complaining theres always a few guys to do it, when theres actual work/chores they are nowhere to be found. to answer original question, i just cant stay still at camp. gonna relax, but never end up doing so. sometimes while home i cant even stop thinkin bout stuff i need to do up there. u know wat tho, chores up there are no way nicer than chores down home.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
for me work at camp is not like work at home. my camp is not fancy so i don't stress it if it needs some paint, etc. thats why i don't fix it up too nice. it's rough and easy to maintain. if it becomes a misery to maintain that takes all the fun out of it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Thats not an easy question when it comes to the camp I belong to.
I belong to a camp that has 20 members and we have a work detail meeting in March..We have to discuss what needs to be done, any major projects.
We usually have work details at camp, 2 a year and you have to make atleast one detail or your pay an assement which the amount is set at the work detail meeting in March..
Due to the price of gas this year we did'nt have any. Nothing major needed done.
And then there is always an issue about what we need to do at camp..We have members that seem to forget that it is a camp and want to do things that are not needed at camp such as put in a washer and dryer a dishwasher ?? Some people need to leave the city living in the city..
Any thing that is done at camp also needs to be discussed and voted on such as building a building or replacing anything such as one of the woodburners, You just can't replace or build anything because you want to.
And then there is the money issue. Do we have the money to do a project at camp? Do we need to have an assement ?? If you go to camp and spend your own money fixing something or replacing something we have to vote on whether camp will reimburse you your money, we always do unless it is something stupid..
The meetings can get a little heated at times..

·
Registered
669 Posts
I never mind work at camp....it's something that at the end of the day, I can appreciate while sitting by the fire, having a cold one, and spending time with family and friends. Even on "relaxing trips" I try and do something constructive for a few hours.....

·
Registered
389 Posts
You pose a good question. Mag. I've been a part of HPA for a number of years now, but it's always amazed me the number of folks who go up to camp and spend just about their entire time working. To each his own I guess. I work long hours at home, so I go to camp to hunt, hike, fish and relax and spend time with family and friends. Not that I don't believe in working at camp, but it's not my priority and I don't worry if things aren't quite perfect.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Our camp has a set work weekend in the spring but we also do work every trip because something always needs fixing. It's just part of owning a camp. I don;t think I've ever heard any of our members complain about it...

well..... there was the one time with the septic but that was different...

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Most of my work at camp is landscaping and other things that keep it looking good - and maintaining - and increasing the property value. Sometimes it's firewood chores, but I also have that at home. I don't have a problem with camp work at all. I mean, what else would I do - work back at home?! I'd rather be in Potter County!

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
My camp is a 50 minute drive seems i get the grass cut there more often than my own yard. Im debating on buiding on a room for a shower if i dont i will have to put on a new roof first. Wanted to do both at same time. Im the loneranger just myself there but enjoy what ever needs done.

·
Registered
25,472 Posts
Original camp was just a 12'x20' shell built in the fall of 1980, privy the following summer. Well and electric were already there. Built it with the help of my two huntin' buds.

Built an addition with bathroom, bunkroom and bedroom a few years later. Other than a few normal things like some exterior staining of siding/painting a few windows, not much in the way of maintence. Cutting grass, trimming weeds and cutting firewood were about the only steady chores.

Coupla driveway and other outside improvements. Added a large storage shed out back about 10 years ago and a small addition to the original 12'x20' last fall (it's the kitchen/liv. room area).

Everything we've ever done, was with an eye towards minimum maintence, 'cause it's a place to relax and enjoy.

Working most of my adult life in construction, didn't want trips to camp to turn into "bus man's holidays".

Gonna need a new roof in the next year or two. I'll pay someone to do that this time around. I ain't in my 30s now.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
We have a camp meeting to table what needs to be done and plan accordingly . Luckily we have a variety of skill levels to work on tasks .While the skilled folks are doing their thing I mow,clean,paint or something to that effect. The main thing is to all show up and participate . For sure fines should be stiffened since the cost of gas to travel warrants it cheaper to stay home and pay rather than go to camp.Well worth it for us to keep a well maintained escape away from home.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts