The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built an addition on the house for a Trophy room.....Im planning on a woodstove in there......Its 20 x28 and the woodstove and the hearth is gona take up a sizeable amount of room...I was wondering how the heat is gonna effect rugs,heads or full mounts that may be nearby ..Above the stove will be some space and this is the area Im wondering about ..How close to the stove does anyone hang stuff....I`ll be using 2bl wall pipe up top the ceiling....Any pics would be appreiiated if anyone has any close to their stove..... I know the distances required to combustables does this include mounts or should they be further to prevent damage to them

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Although a lot of people on HPA are extremely knowledgeable, you're probably better off asking a taxidermist than relying on answers from a message board.

The problem won't be combustion. The problem will be the hot, dry air in the room. That's never good for mounts. It will dry the skin, the hair, and the glue. You might want to find a way to humidify the air, and display the mounts in the coolest area of the room. I'd put them as far away from the heat source as possible.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Make sure you put a kettle of water on the stove, that will help, remember to refill!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I'd be very careful how close you put anything to it. Have you ever been to a Cracker Barrel to eat. Check the mounts that they put above the fireplace. Also putting a kettle on the stove like BlackBruin said is a great suggestion but I would also put the biggest humidifier you can get in your trophy room as well. Post some pics of your trophy room! Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I have my European mounts close to the woodstove due to limited space and not running the woodstove isn't an option as a chilly wife & high electic bill makes for a long winter. Over several years the skull plates & antlers have darkened slighty. The full shoulder mounts are further away and seem just fine but do need cleaned every few monthes.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem solved euro mounts close to stove .........Big 28 room is a few months to completion I`ll get pics as soon as possible.......

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I have a couple of mine in the woodstove room and so far they seem unaffected. One mount is probably 15' away from the stove and the other is at least 10'. You would not want to hang out directly above it. I did notice the other day that the mounts seemed pretty warm to the touch. We've had some hanging next to the fireplace in the cabin for 40 years or more.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I was in the same situation a few years ago. My taxidermist said the dry heat of a wood stove dries out the oils used in the hides, causing the hair to become loose/brittle/fall out, especially if it is close to the stove. I asked him about the effect of a pellet stove vs a woodstove and he said a pellet stove would not be an issue because the dry heat is not as intense.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I have a 9 point full velvet buck about 8 feet up and 3 feet over from my roaring wood stove. no Problems in 3 years!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts