The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to go with Woodsmans this year out of my new long bow, I have been shooting bear razorheads the past several years from my recurves........

I have been shooting to woodsmans dull out of the package for practice, but I have been trying to sharpen them now before the season starts.......I have been able to get them sharp, but not hair cutting sharp

And I have tried everything I know, files, small files, a course stone and a fine stone then a ceramic broadhead stone, a pull through style sharpener, sharpening steel...........I have went through all that I have here.

How do you sharpen yours? Or what am I doing wrong? Any suggestions at all will be appreciated...Thanks.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I file each side 10 times then flip. After 3 or 4 complete reps I use a sharpie to color the blades black. Then I go 5 times to see if I'm sharpening evenly. Removing the black from the marker will prove that out. Then I'm off to the diamond stone- sharpening using the same method as a file.

Finally I use leather to strope. I've also uses newspaper and it works fine.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I had a heck of a time getting mine shaving-sharp as well. After reading thru many posts over at Tradgang, I found I was not alone. I understand the newer ones are supposed to be easier to work with, but I don't know yet.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
I never had a problem. I just laid the file over two blades at once and they sharpened up pretty nicely. I usually hit them with a ceramic rod after.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still cant get them as sharp as I would like. Are they sharp enough ? Yea probably.......just not completely totally sharp......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts