The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got started on my fall food plot by mowing down last years Winter Rye. At this point the winter rye looked like straw, as you can see in the after picture. My plan is to go back in 2 weeks and roundup anything that is coming back up and then in about a month to seed, likely more winter rye and some clover. I also added a small section to the plot making it sort of T shaped. The new section is only about 60X30 at its widest point but this area gets quite a bit more sunlight so I have high hopes for it. This area was THICK and took some work to whack it back. I hit the area with roundup after whacking it down and will hit it again in 2 weeks. I plan to to plant a clover/turnip mix here. I'll try to update with more pictures as I progress. Sorry the picture of the new plot extension is crappy. I had just sprayed the roundup and didn't want to walk back in through it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have found in my heavily wooded plot that the leaf drop in the fall kills off most of my perennials the next year. Unfortunately I can't be there to rake or mulch them away so I have given up on clover in these areas.

Because of that I do winter rye with a top dressing of dwarf essex rape. They hit the rye first then the rape after first frost. Then the rye comes up green in the spring as well for the does getting ready to drop fawns.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Today I sprayed whatever was left with roundup again. The existing side I spot sprayed as some of last years winter rye seed has started to germinate. I figured no sense in killing it off. The new extension was 98% dead from the first spraying but I went in and hit anything that was still green. In 2 weeks I'll go back and mow everything down and plant. I ordered clover, rape, turnips, radishes and brassicas. (I couldnt decide on a couple so I got a little of each to try) My plan is to plant primarily clover in the existing plot with some rape. The turnips, radishes, and brassicas will go in the extension. Sorry no pictures, I forgot my phone and wasn't making an extra trip to get it.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Plot has been planted 8/10/16. I figured with such a good chance of thunderstorms/rain the next several days I better get the seed in the ground. I think we got some rain over night and according to the radar we might be getting more in the next few hours. I'll update with pictures in a couple weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts