The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son conitunes to work on his 84 k-10, he is at the point now where the bed is off and he is suring up some things as well as planning to take the metal bed into shop to get started on it. We plan to put a temporary woodbed on it so we can continue to drive it and take it hunting (and throw a buck on the back this Fall
)

Anyone have any tips on making a wood bed? Becasue it will only be a temp bed we don't need anything too extravegant, just need it to be street legal (taillights, cover the wheels), also easy to get on/off should we need too take it off for steps of the rebuild. It will be spring at least before the metal bed is finsihed and likely going back on .

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Only issue to watch out for is that trucks with wooden beds require the truck to be titled with an "R" title. I know you're only putting one on temporarly but not sure if you'd run into a legal jam if involved in an accident.(we can't inspect trucks with wooden boxes at the shop is why I'm cautioning you)...might be better to throw a beater metal box on for the winter. Good luck whichever way you go .

·
Registered
144 Posts
Keep in mind too, the wood bed (if you go that rout) may weight less then the steel. When we put a wooden on on my dads of 75 powerwagon the decrease in weight caused so traction issues.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Win Mag 300 said:
Keep in mind too, the wood bed (if you go that rout) may weight less then the steel. When we put a wooden on on my dads of 75 powerwagon the decrease in weight caused so traction issues.
I am pretty sure john would like that fact...LOL

Thanks guys for the good info. We must of got some bad info...we were under the impression if the tires were not exposed and you had tailights you were good to go.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I believe if the bed frame & mounts to the frame are steel you'd be okay with a wood floor( like flatbed's you see on equipment trucks). The bed is considered part of the structural strength so using an all wood bed changes that strength drastically in regards to Insurance/ Inspection issues. I personally kinda like seeing some of the wooden beds guys have made...unfortunately if something happens it can get sticky .

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You answered my question before I asked it...Thanks.

In talking with my son, he said the same...what about a metal frame flatbed with just a wooden deck. A local guy here make them, same guy I bought my woods trailer from, I am going to call him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts