The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a wooden powder horn my uncle made.he was a gunsmith in the saltsburg area. he gave it to me about 2 years before he had passed on and that was 15+ years ago.

does anyone else have one?

i guess he made atleast 20 of these and no two are the same.just looking to see if anyone else knew my uncle (Bucky Spade) and got one from him.

or if anyone has seen wooden powder horn anywhere?

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
That is one fine lookin' "horn", your Uncle was a skilled craftsman

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Thats a classic
Looks like the wood is walnut and butternut,is it?I wonder how he hollowed it out?

·
Premium Member
4,378 Posts
gunmaster, that is really a uniquely styled powder flask! Would it be possible to share some closeup photos and some dimensions? Is it intended to carry on a strap, or does it ride in the possibles bag?

You've really stirred some interest with a very unusual piece. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
12,896 Posts
I like the wood one above better than the horn type. If someone could duplicate the wooden one or close, I would love to buy one!!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks like it was done in sections. no place to put strap.it is about 9 or 10 inches long not sure what kind of wood. get some pics today.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Thanks for the picture,great looking powder horn

Got my wheels turning now.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
trying to make one myself.
my friend said wood is not good it draws moisture but i have had this for years and have had powder in it with no problem.

·
Registered
12,896 Posts
brewyak said:
the wood might draw moisture, but you can put a couple coats of poly on it
Would tung oil also protect it and the powder from moisture?

·
Banned
900 Posts
I gotta have one of them!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
brewyak said:
the wood might draw moisture, but you can put a couple coats of poly on it
I wonder how much moisture the wood plugs/ends draws on your cow horns? I've never seen it on mine and they are just raw wood,no coatings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts