The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw these on my way home from work. I was thinking it would be cool to have one of these custom made to look like your buck instead of taking it to the taxi.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Looks like the ones at the Ridgway Chainsaw carving Rendezvous.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Very nice, any idea what they cost? There is a business on Rt. 28 above Brockway that had a lot of wood carved animals setting out front of the store. I was passing through last summer and noticed them, but the store was closed for the evening.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
I saw these on my way home from work. I was thinking it would be cool to have one of these custom made to look like your buck instead of taking it to the taxi.
By the looks of those faces, I doubt it will look like "your buck".
I mean, kinda handy for a chainsaw, but not $500 worth IMO. Now some of those pieces I seen from the Ridgeway carve, heck yeah.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I saw zero deer carvings like that when I was there, I was looking for them (and trout), as i get a little tired of the bear and eagle carvings that seem to rule the carving scene.

The place we stayed for the weekend had a carve at their house/office of a buck and a doe together much like the ones in the QDMA symbol (actually think it was likely used as the guide for the carve) ..that one was incredible, I should of took a pic of it, it was real rustic looking, no painted detail.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
The place we stayed for the weekend had a carve at their house/office of a buck and a doe together much like the ones in the QDMA symbol (actually think it was likely used as the guide for the carve) ..that one was incredible, I should of took a pic of it
What ??? Too heavy to lift ? or couldn't you fit it in the Truck ?

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Couldn't get it in the truck, I would of needed the cargo carrier....

There were a couple cabin carves on stumps that were real nice too, I did not get a pic of those.

I'd love to be able to do my own carve, but I have trouble keeping firewood I cut between 16-18" without marking it...so I am not sure my eye to saw talent is there. LOL I have made one thing, a sign out of a long slab with our name carved it in (plunge cut, block style lettering, nothing fancy...LOL) and then I tacked a shed antler on it...it will move to the camp on the property this summer whenever I remember to take a ladder with me to put it up. Like to make one for Potter camp as well, but have not found the right slab yet for that and need to hone my skills some. If your looking to get me something for my birthday in May, I would take a carver's saw, the 20" Farm Boss is a bit big for it, farmer's must not have time to carve...

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
PLUNGE CUT ??? That's not for the novice, so if you pulled it off and didn't lose an appendage, you did alright.

MARKING TIP:
- If your bar is the same size of the round you want to cut (18" bar, 18" round), simply lay the saw across the log and eyeball tip of bar to rear, and cut it at your visual "mark".
- If your bar is longer than the round size you want to cut (20" bar, 18" round), scratch a vertical mark on both sides of the bar measuring from tip back 18".
- If your bar is LESS than the round size you want to cut (16" bar, 18" round), put on a bigger bar or buy a new saw.
Just convince the wife YOU NEED IT.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I use my bar to measure exactly as you suggest, i was joking a bit there...I do not recommend the plunge in anyway, some hinge cutters use it alot but I am not comfortable with it cutting into trees, but to make letters in a sign that are not 18" long it was necessary for that job, was the bottom of the tip really, not the end of bar digging in.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
They kinda remind me of those deer heads that talk and sing

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cool

---------------------------------------------------------

Playing the game คาส&#3...609;์ life is like if you lost the game plan. <span style="font-weight: bold">คาสิโนออนไลน์</span> is comparable to the game, you lose a life.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
RB-HPA said:
I saw zero deer carvings like that when I was there, I was looking for them (and trout), as i get a little tired of the bear and eagle carvings that seem to rule the carving scene.

The place we stayed for the weekend had a carve at their house/office of a buck and a doe together much like the ones in the QDMA symbol (actually think it was likely used as the guide for the carve) ..that one was incredible, I should of took a pic of it, it was real rustic looking, no painted detail.
saw this guy at the gun show in Morris last week. I bought a bear from him last year. This year he had bear, trout and a grouse. I was looking for a turkey. "Moon Wolf Carvings" Nic Blackwell, appearently just moved from Endwell, NY to the Blackwell, PA area. If your interested give me a PM, I have his currant phone , don't know if tyhe email from his card is current.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i've seen some nice carvings through my travels, unfortunatly i wouldn't spend what they want for one. i did make my son a chair once out of an apple stump. he sat in it for years in the yard. eventually he outgrew the chair and it got punky . removed it with a backhoe and filled the hole. noone ever saw something like it where we had see them all the time at camp

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
i get page not found with the link........bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts