The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the woodcock #'s look like this coming season? I believe woocock #'s are cyclical. I hope this is a good cycle. If you could hunt NJ or PA, which would you hunt?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have hunted both states with good luck. Find the right cover and the birds are there. Keep in mind that every migrating woodcock from new england travels through NJ going south.

·
Super Moderator
12,783 Posts
This year I was seeing woodcock in Western PA in July and August. I never remember seeing woodcock in this area until Oct.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Been seeing many in West Virgina this year already. Not sure of their season dates. I know they have a very short season though

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
PAUplandHunter said:
Does anyone know what the woodcock #'s look like this coming season? I believe woocock #'s are cyclical. I hope this is a good cycle. If you could hunt NJ or PA, which would you hunt?
I think the #'s should be about what they were last year!My son in law is a Wildlife Biologist for NJ,and my son has an outdoor job for the County,so we get to spend a lot of time outdoors in the State.NJ can be awesome for Woodcock if you no where to go,but Pa. has a lot more places to hunt.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone ever have any luck around Dingmans Ferry and/or the Delaware Water Gap area? I heard it was good if you time the migration right...

·
Registered
63 Posts
We flushed 5 in upper wayne co. 3-c. Also flushed 4 grouse. The first from a pine tree around 11 in the morning. I thought it was odd? Two 13 year olds shooting...all survived to flush again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts