The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a used wood stove for camp. It is marked Warnock Hersey - made in Canada. It is about 20 years old, and it looks as if it was barely used. The model is the Cabot Elite, for those that might be familiar with it.

As I cleaned it out prior to installation, I noticed a layer of insulation behind the firebrick. Based on the age, I thought it might make sense to replace it, along with the thinner firebrick with one layer of thicker firebrick.

Does anyone know if that would cause a problem? Can I/should I remove the layer of insulation (asbestos?)? I can't find much online about the maker of the wood stove. I think they were bought out by another company.

Any information would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
maybe try a woodburning stove forum, they probobly exist and maybe someone on there will know.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Google Hearth.com forums. They can really help you out.

I do know that Warnock Hersey was the testing lab. Not the manufacturer. I looks like the manufaturer was Haugh's Products. That company was bought out by another company. Century Heating.

Might want to call them for more info. (Clearances & Such). Make sure you go to the other forum. They will help.

Good Luck!

Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts