The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Im getting ready to put in a wood burner to heat my 1400 sqft house. Just looking for ideas on wall protection. Im putting it in the corner of my den. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Have you decided on a stove?

My Opinion- Go BIGGER. I have a stove rated for 1000 sq ft, and my house is 876 sq ft. I wish I had bought a bigger stove.

Do you have a source of wood? I bought a trailer for this car, chainsaw, splitter,etc. Last year I did not turn on the furnace, but it was a lot of work..

If its a new stove, it will come with specs for clearances. If it's an older stove, google up the owners manual. Also, a forum that helped me is hearth.com. Lot's of good info over there.

Edit: Fordman maentioned homeowners insurance. Get a permit if required by your town, and for me, my original HO ins. co was not very receptive. I switched everything over to another company, HO ins went up $45 a year..

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't picked out a stove yet. Ill have to give my insurance a call. I do have a source of wood 600 acres as well as a good saw.

·
Registered
838 Posts
My insurance company (State Farm) had a drawing showing all clearances and a list of recommended fire resistant materials.

When I switched to them I had to install additional tile to the front and concrete board above for coverage.

Each company is a little different on their requirements. They do not like to hear that it is the only source of heat. I have a wall propane heater and that made them happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts