The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently has been dropped from production as Remington is only listing the synthetic carbine on it's website.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i hope the new owners don't ruin that brand. the 7600 probably isn't a cash cow for them so you never know. good thing is there are a lot of old ones out there for reasonable prices.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
And there goes an American Icon.......The Remington slide action rifle is an American tradition........Wood stock and blued steel.

I own a 760 carbine in 30-06. It is Walnut stocked and blued steel.

Leave the plastic to the semi-autos.....they are pretty much useless anyway as far as a dedicated hunting firearm.

Remington, It's over for you.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I guess the days of a nice piece of walnut on a rifle are coming to an end. Heck I remember the old high gloss basket weaved walnut stocks on the old pump action rifles. My uncle even has one of the limited ones they made with the spiral barrel. That was a pretty nice looking rifle. I guess tradition is being thrown out the window. I know my Model 6 30-06 carbine has a pretty nice piece of wood on it. Tom.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
for my hunting, synthetic and matte finish make absolute PERFECT sense...about the ONLY time im in a stand is opening morning of deer season...other than that, im driving...and almost always a driver..in and out of the truck many times a day..always in the thick stuff trying to jump em..im tough on guns..

but, i dont own a synthetic big game rifle..it makes perfect sense..but it just dont feel right to me...

walnut and bluing is a deer rifle to ME...

like was said, atleast old ones can be had..and with the internet auctions and such, they can be found easier than hoping one shows up in a gun shop...

got a buddy that owns a shop and he still hasnt had a whelen pump gun come through his door in 2.5 years..it took me a few days of seriously looking to hunt one down..ended up being in a local shop, but, found many online and without the internet, i would never called that shop..it was over an hour from home and i never heard of it..turns out he buys grice wearhouse stuff..which turns up special runs NIB that got burried and forgotten about..

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
moosehunter said:
Apparently has been dropped from production as Remington is only listing the synthetic carbine on it's website.
Stupid. Not like they have to make special stocks for them.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
CampHollow said:
Sorry to see it get axed, but it was bound to happen eventually. Too many economy guns with cheap plastic in demand these days.
Isn't that the truth! That's the problem with our country and economy today. Everyone is looking for CHEAPEST! Then that's what you get CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP! This philosophy will eventually take over every American product. Stay tuned. They should have made the synthetic stocked rifles the same price as wood and this would have never happened. It's a shame.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
There are still plnety of them NIB out there,...But there will be fewer and prices will climb as time marches on....Now would be a good time to get one if your heart is set on one..

·
Administrator
39,028 Posts
CampHollow said:
Sorry to see it get axed, but it was bound to happen eventually. Too many economy guns with cheap plastic in demand these days.
Yep, but don't agree with what was said above that it's the end for remington.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not over for Remington but anyone can see Freedom Group (Cerberus) has done a lot of damage to the brand. Quality control has been out the window. I hope for Rem's sake someone buys them and restores their good name.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With that having been said, would I still buy a new 700 or 7600? Yes, but I'd also be aware that I'm taking a risk on getting a lemon. That's a much greater concern with today's Remington's than it has been in the past.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Moreso with a 700 than a 7600.....There are 760-7600 rifles out there that group an inch, but not many, and they weren't designed to be target rifles, but folks expect more out of a Model 700 bolt action..I've owned many that would do 1 1/2" groups at best, and I sold them...A Model 7600 that throws groups like that would be a keeper.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
ive read some horror stories about NEW rems...seems some shoot..but many dont..

the SPS varmint is one ive heard GREAT stuff about, and can prove it with mine...

i try to stay away from new rems for that reason...yes, you still run a risk when buying an older rifle..heck, probably bigger since its likely to be used...but, quality was much better back then...my 760 BDL bluing is gorgeous compared to my my 7600 made in 2005..

oh...they both shoot sub-moa though...

·
Administrator
39,028 Posts
Big Ken said:
Moreso with a 700 than a 7600.....There are 760-7600 rifles out there that group an inch, but not many, and they weren't designed to be target rifles, but folks expect more out of a Model 700 bolt action..I've owned many that would do 1 1/2" groups at best, and I sold them...A Model 7600 that throws groups like that would be a keeper.
With the right ammo Ken, sometimes even better than that.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
My first 760, a 270 did a consistant 1 1/4" with Remington 130gr. factory loads.I've owned probably close to a dozen 30-06 Model 760's and without any load development, have grouped between 1 1/2"-2" on an average...My 35 Whelen does an honest inch but it's with a bullet that I don't particularly care for, a Hornady 180 gr. SSP which has a real thin jacket.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I bought a Rem 7600 30/06 18.5" barrel synthetic/matte finish carbine about 8 or ten years ago. I use it for hunting the thick stuff. It's favorite ammo, plain old 180gr. round nose Rem CL. Puts them into a group for three shots around an inch. Amazing! Only pump rifle I ever bought. I love it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts