The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got about a 60' long row of stacked firewood held in place by intermittent wooden pallets. I'd like to cover the wood for the winter with something better than tarps. Any suggestions on how to cover a woodpile this large without breaking the bank? A friend suggested roofing panels but I think buying them new would be very expensive.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
If you know anyone that works in the gas well industry, see if they can get you a few pieces of impoundment(pond) liner........

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
With the size pile your looking to cover the only cheap alternative would be a tarp or a pool liner someone is replacing.
I sank 4X4 into the ground, started T-1-11 around 4 " above ground level for ventilation and built a 12'X 12' 3 sided shed.
Left the front open which I cover with a heavy tarp when the snows start. I put pallets for flooring. Wood can age nicely, is easy to get to from the house and easy to replenish.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Old roofing tin, look along the highway or ask trucking companies for wore out flatbed tarps, cut runners out of them, that will cover 58-60 feet including the ends, just cover the top. Junkyard might have used tin laying around. Tarps degrade, new tin is too much $$.

·
Super Moderator
5,041 Posts
Agree with old mine belt. It's made in widths from 30 inch to 6 feet. If you know anyone at a coal mine, it can be had for free. Can cut with a razor knife or chainsaw. Won't ever blow off, and is flexible.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'll post a pic of mine later today. Mine is about 70 feet if I remember, I covered mine with old roofing tin and with a 2x4 frame all items found on craigslist etc for a total of $100

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got some old pieces of rubber roofing for next to nothing. That seems to solve the problem. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
If cutting try to make the rubber at minimum two feet wider than piles. This way you can have water drip away from pile instead of down it.
Did it that way for years till I moved into used van bodies.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I've use heavy tarps bought at yard sales, plastic film left over from work, old roof tin, old rubber roofing, etc. Very inexpensive item I've found works well and is fairly durable is the silage bag material that farmer store sialgeiinon the ground. Not the big bale haylage wraps, but the long white tube plastic silage things. I asked a farmer, and he just left it lay and told me when to come get it. Few tears in it here and there, but its fairly thick and durable. UV resistant too.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Same here... I got mine from the quarry in town. They even loaded it into the truck for me... no cost.
Bigbrownie said:
Agree with old mine belt. It's made in widths from 30 inch to 6 feet. If you know anyone at a coal mine, it can be had for free. Can cut with a razor knife or chainsaw. Won't ever blow off, and is flexible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts