The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been scouting for woodies and have a couple good spots when the season opens. If you were targeting Wood Ducks, what kind of spread would you use and how would you call...

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Scouting is great, but it's kinda early. Till hunting season, they will be using different areas due to different food sources. In my opinion, 6 or less decoys are usually adequate for woodies, depending on the size of the area you are hunting. If I'm hunting moving water, I like to set up a couple decoys along the bank like they are swimming upstream. I also like to set up on creek bends, and I'll put some further out so they are a little more visible. When hunting lakes or ponds, I use a jerk cord tied to one decoy to give the whole decoy spread movement, and I usually put a couple mallard decoys off to one side, and mix up my calling between the two species. A lot of guys don't think calling woodies works very well, but I disagree. While I think location and decoy movement are most important, I've seen a ton of birds directly respond to a couple squeals on a call.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
No woodie calls for me, no woodie decoys. I use mallards and sit on the X using a dozen decoys early season.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The down side of scouting now is water level. What has water now may be bone dry in oct. That being said it sure can't hurt to get out now and find the habitat that should hold them and make contact with the land owners. So you have multiple options in oct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts