The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
april 15th is more than just tax day at my house. thats the opening of Morel season around here. unfortunately i never get enough. one of these days i hope to find the mother load. i usually get enough for a couple meals at best. last year was pretty poor for me. year before was good.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Last year wasn't so good. Year before? Pretty good.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
18 inch tapers. Size reference.

·
Registered
893 Posts
That's not food.
That's what FOOD eats!

All I know about shrooms is enough to make me sick if I was to pick 'em.
That and they sometimes show up on my pizza......

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Better than any beef, venison, chicken, pheasant, grouse, etc I have ever had. I love my morels in butter and garlic.

If you ever find anything that looks like the pictures above, send them all to me. I'll taste test them. If they are safe to eat, I'll send them back.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts

I am new to this site and wanted to test posting a photo....if it worked, I want to add that I been feeding off this load for over a year now. Huntin' and shroomin' and fishin' keeps me busy almost all year long...gotta luv it!! Yes those are Lions Mane

·
Registered
893 Posts
GalThatFishes said:
Better than any beef, venison, chicken, pheasant, grouse, etc I have ever had. I love my morels in butter and garlic.

If you ever find anything that looks like the pictures above, send them all to me. I'll taste test them. If they are safe to eat, I'll send them back.
Say what?
Ok, I'll trade you any shrooms I come across for vension.

just kidding of course the wanna be WCO's round here would have me swinging from a tree before the sun comes up.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
I try to pick enough morels that my 80 or so year old friends who can no longer pick get some each year, and enough for me to have a small portion a month for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I also try to pick enough that the old lady that has the bar up the street gets to feed her Saturday customers a treat. I keep enough for myself, my wife loves mushrooms but the morel,?? she just can't hold down. She can eat all others but not that one and it doesn't seem to matter which type of morel.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Morels have a chemical in them similar to the compund in anabuse. If you have alcohol within 36 hours, it makes ya vomit. Not everyone but some.

·
Registered
893 Posts
GalThatFishes said:
Morels have a chemical in them similar to the compund in anabuse. If you have alcohol within 36 hours, it makes ya vomit. Not everyone but some.
This really isn't much of a selling point..........

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
drew57 said:
what kind are they? sheephead? i've had them before
If you mean the ones in my photo, yes the majority are Sheephead some folks call them Hens..there is also some Chickens (yellow), a Beef Steak, some Lions Mane and a few boletes. I took out a new shroomer that day and hadn't the heart to whoa him up in his enthusiasm to pick 'em all.

My Bass pond doesn't have a single Bluegill in it..... as far as I know..LOL.

·
Registered
62 Posts
thanks. i had sheepheads last year. awesome. but forgot what they looked like. that and backstraps in butter over open fire. yummy!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts