The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rarely get into official/political stuff, but this one has me wondering::: With only 4 weeks to hunt spring gobbler, and a lot of people not having the advantage of hunting private ground, they obviously will hunt gamelands and state forests. Why then did the Game Commission pick these last two or three weeks to begin a timber sale/logging on gamelands? That sure doesn't seem condusive to managing FOR the hunters. The gamelands about a mile from me is currently being logged, or at least they have spent the time building (reinforcing) a bridge, and bulldozing in a big log landing. Just wondering why this couldn't have been started June 1, and give the spring turkey hunters their 4 weeks in the woods? I personally don't hunt there so it's not about me being disturbed. I just wonder why those with few other choices of where they hunt, have to be inconvenienced. Could a delay of two or three weeks been that much of a burden for them to wait to start the operation?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
We had the same issues several years ago when SGL 13 was logged during the 3 day bear season. Made the wet roads nearly impassable for all but 4 wheel drive vehicles.
Likely someone screwed up with the bid spec's. The PGC usually doesn't allow these projects during high use times.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
It's very simple, the PGC is hurting for money now that the natural gas prices have took a nose dive and they were once again turned down for a license increase. Right now, timber prices are higher than they have been in a few years. The loggers normally harvest timber during the winter months because trees are generally drier. But, with the advancing timber prices and demand increasing, the loggers are busy and may have been delayed to getting to the SGL. Supply and damand is the American way...

Look at it this way, rough for turkey hunters in the spring of 2016 but great for grouse hunters in the fall of 2018 or 2019.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No demand around here. All the log yards are full, a lot of our local loggers are scaling back or shutting down for a while, and it's real hard for them to sell their paperwood. The company doing the logging has their own mill, so that might be why they're cutting. Still can't see why they couldn't have waited until after turkey season to do it, rather than ruin a lot of hunter's season. That's my wonder...not about them needing the money, but doing it during turkey season.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I live next to the Galitzin State Forest. They have been logging non stop for the last 3 years now. The amount of timber taken out has been incredible. 10 acre sections totally clear cut with select cutting here and there. There are 5 different deer exclosure fences now erected. I think it's a combination of money making and habitat improvement for both the PGC and DCNR. And I'm all for it.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
In any given parcel someone's activity is going to be impacted by a logging operation. Big jobs take considerable time to complete. They are only working on relatively small acres at any particular day/week. Most Gamelands are very large. Maybe people have to move their activities to another section of the Gamelands. After all, that's what the wildlife will do.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
trapperrick said:
It's very simple, the PGC is hurting for money now that the natural gas prices have took a nose dive and they were once again turned down for a license increase.
That sounds like a good theory but I have to wonder when I see these "access roads" either being built new or opening up and improving exiting old roads where it was TOTALLY unnecessary (and not asked for) and has now ruined the hunting in that area.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Our sportsmen's club had it's property logged off last winter. It clear cut around the rifle range to expand it and the rest of the property was select cut. We only have 40 acres and it took a good 4 months to complete.
They told us about a dozen deer or so would come visit them every morning as the equipment was fired up. The deer would browse on the tree tops as they were cut down.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You can thank the Environmentalist for that.
fall gobbler said:
That sounds like a good theory but I have to wonder when I see these "access roads" either being built new or opening up and improving exiting old roads where it was TOTALLY unnecessary (and not asked for) and has now ruined the hunting in that area.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it to much. They where logging a local game lands here 3 years ago. All the game was around the log job. Wildlife likes chainsaws. I don't believe they are allowed to cut on sat. It would probably be hard to get bids if they where allowed to cut for a month then have to move out for a month just for turkey season then haul all equip. back.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Just like all of the planned burns the last three weeks too. No reason to burn em down during spring turkey, plus nesting season.

·
Registered
18,569 Posts
No Idea but just tossing this out there. Could it be a salvage move. Most cutting is scaled back this time of year for nesting birds. However if the place has loads of ash and the borers are killing trees it may be best to take what you can before you have nothing. Waugh!

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Based on everything I've been told from loggers working in multiple states, these cuts have to happen some time and no time is going to be convenient for everyone. If they don't cut the SGL this month, then they will have to be cutting somewhere else and come back at some other time in the future. Depending on the loggers work load, this may or may not be practical as they may have to do a particular job now or never. They can't just wait around to start a job until its convenient for different users or they would never be able to complete their jobs and stay in business.

The same kind of goes with prescribed fire. Prescribed burns take place not when convenient but when the prescription conditions are available. Growing season burns used to be frowned upon by many game management groups until the research suggested that it didn't really make a difference.

It sure is an inconvenience but its one that generally doesn't happen but once every couple years with a burn or perhaps 20+ years in a timber harvest.

·
Registered
12,517 Posts
Deer soon learn that the sound of a chain saw means fresh tree tops to munch on. Same as Pavlov's bell. I have deer come out and graze in the hay field while I am cutting hay. Graze so unconcerned that sometimes I have to stop and chase them out of the way. Don't know about turkeys, but deer seemed to be attracted to such activity.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Hunterknapp16 said:
Just like all of the planned burns the last three weeks too. No reason to burn em down during spring turkey, plus nesting season.
Actually, there are several reasons...

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
I was wondering the same about the gypsy moth spraying on SGL's in turkey season, but I assumed that was the time it had to be done for the proper result (based on the life cycle of the caterpillars). Still, was frustrating to see signs going up around SGL's saying "hey you might get sprayed with pesticide while you're here."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts