The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANybody see them anywhere lately?

I am running low and cannot find them anywhere! These are the wool/felt wads that go between the powder charge and the conical. SUpposed to make a tighter seal, and thus increase pressures and thus velocity.

I know I don;t have to use them, but always have in the past and didn;t want to change now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
What caliber?I have a bunch of 36cal to get rid of.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
If you only do some shooting, maybe 20 shots a year, by all meanss stick with wonder wads. If you do a lot of shooting, ie 200 or more shots a year look into using a punch and puching out your own wads or using on over powder card and a grease cookie. I once used wonder wads in my black powder cartridge loads and found that over powder cards and grease cookies worked better. A grease cookie is made by melting a bullet lube such as half beeswax and 1/4 crisco and 1/4 microcrystalline wax into a uniform lube. Then melt that on top of very warm water so the wax is spread a uniform thickness across the hot water. let it cool and punch out discs of the solidified wax. Thats a grease cookie. Kind of a messie extra step for loading, but several shooters report enhanced accuracy as well as less fouling stuck to the bore. I found in several of my rifles that it works better.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys! I'm gonna try to find them locally to save the shipping. But if I can;t, then I'll get 'em from Track of the Wolf................looks like they are a lot cheaper!

Thanks for the help!

Zimmer- I probably average about 25 shots a year. And I like how the wads fit in the end of my speedloaders. And they are not messy at all.

410- thanks for the offer, but this is a .50 cal.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help, Guys!

I stopped at Dixon's on the way back from Christmas Vacation. Got a pack for $7.95 pre-lubed. Should have known they would have them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts