The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the doe tag situation, quota of 113,000 tags with 3600 left, I am wondering if there is any good public land to hunt in 5C. Pickings here in 4B and 5A have been a little slim lately, so I am starting to get the itch to try someplace new. The opportunity to pursue deer from mid September until the end of January is also intriguing.

Any suggestions for SGLs or other locations in 5C to nose around?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sgl 205.Plenty of deer there.Just a war zone there the first day or 2 of rifle.Sgl 157 also has a lot of deer.This is shotgun vs rifle use thou.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm...
Checking the PGC site seems to indicate that doe season with a rifle is in in SGL 205 until the end of January. Am I reading this correctly?

I sure hope so...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the hunter traffic die down after 'regular' deer season or is it dangerous until the middle of January?

Like the nickname 356. My 35 Whelen is my go to gun. Gottta love the 35's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I went and got a 5C tag yesterday. I have downloaded and printed maps of SGL 205, 157, and French Creek State Park.

I'm planning a recon in force on the 19th.

Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
SGL 205 is a zoo I'd forget it honestly, I was there the first saturday last year and i doubt you could have stood anywhere there and not seen orange. Its a disgrace. Of all them I'd concentrate on 157 and Nockamixon. Be forewarned they get hunted hard and the deer left on there hang out in the thick cover.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Recon has been rescheduled for the 28th.
205 first, then 157, and 43 down Chester county way for good measure.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I hunted a farm that borders 43 last year, and even with the extreme hunting pressure that place gets there were alot of deer around there.

I'm gonna be hitting 157 after the season closes on the 9th in the rest of the state.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hunted 43 a few years ago. Kinda like hunting big rabbits with the cover off Harmonyville Road. Slug in the chamber, 00 buck in the mag.

Monday is recon for a more serious trip or three later.

Gotta go reload some slugs!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts