1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
20,230 Posts
Nobodys home...........01\05\07 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbs.gif

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
I hunt SGL's 127, 312, 318 & 135 and I fish alot of different lakes and streams all over this area. Let me know if I can be of assistance in any way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wave.gif

·
Super Moderator
14,674 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
WMU 3D

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I would add some information about the units along with their past harvests.
Hopefully you will find it helpful and interesting.

Size in square miles:…………….2183.36

Amount public land:…………….15.5 %

Amount forested:……………….84.9 %

Amount agricultural:……………9.2 %

Amount developed:……………..2.4 %

License and harvest data in number/square mile:

Year…….antlerless license……antlered harvest…….antlerless harvest……total harvest
2003………..22.90………………..2.23……………………6.02………………8.25
2004………..22.90………………..2.06……………………4.49……………....6.55
2005………..17.40………………..1.79……………………3.34………………5.13
2006………..17.40

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Great idea- thanks for the information RSB..
I hunt here- looks like I am the only 1! Amount of developed land- is that correct?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I was out near camel back yesterday driving around looking for new places to hunt next year and saw cars parked at the Park entrance ( to the Camelback - I think - State Park. THe sign said- something to the effect that it was managed by Camelback. Anyway there is a SGl 138 I believe there. There were cars parked there also- what the heck is in season?
I need to get out and hunt more than the Nat'l Forest- where are the good places to hunt turkey and deer here? I keep hearing in Pike near the ater company but I can't find it.
My buddy lives in saw creek and has 10 and 12 points walking arounf his hood but you can't hunt there.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I've lived, hunted, and fished in 3D for over 45 years. I find it hard to believe that only 2.4% is developed ! Has the PGC looked at a topo map or aerial photo lately?

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Bethlehem Water in Monroe County, abuts SGL 318 and is accessible from route 80, as well. I hear it is public hunting, but I have never hunted there.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Bethlehem Water Authority lands abut SGL 38 (Camelback Mtn.). Hypsy Gap road is the access point. The land is mostly dense scrub oak with small pine swamps throughout. The land is difficult to hunt because of the poor visibility. It gets hit pretty hard.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I keep hearing that the pheasant hunting in (not sure where the fileds are) the fields is excellent.
I met a guy that works there a few months ago. He told me that it is patrolled but they won't kick you off unless you are shooting close to the building.
I will have to scope it out.
Did you guys all get together to drive bear this year? Anyone here get one? See any nice buks(harvest any) in 3D?

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
I spent plenty of time on SGL 127, 312 & 318 throughout the fall and never saw a bear. Did see plenty of shooter bucks but missed on my only shot opportunity during archery. Passed up a really nice young 5 pointer 3 times in last week of archery. Didn't see any deer opening day of rifle in Gouldsboro State Park, but saw them on Tuesday and Wednesday that week in the gamelands...the only buck I saw in rifle came through before it was light enough to see his rack very well, that was on Tues am. Passed up a buck that dropped both antlers on the last Wednesday of flintlock. No buck this year in 3D, but sure had fun trying!

Saw more grouse and squirrels than the previous 3 seasons and hare sign was good, too! Less coyote sign this year than the past 3 years for some reason, as well. Didn't see a bobcat for the first time in quite a while. Turkeys were scattered, but in good-sized flocks.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Nanook, do you know if any bears were taken from Kistler Swamp? Does Gouldsboro S.P. get hit hard in rifle season?
Just curious, I hunt N.C. Pa. during the first week of rifle.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
GSP was hardly pressured at all. I tracked a buck in the snow there 2 years ago on the last day and only saw one other hunter the entire time I was on him. Didn't see another hunter at all on the first day this year, but did hear a shot very close. Not sure if any bears were taken from Kistler. There was some bear sign in there this fall.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Thanks. I enjoy exploring SGL 127, Gouldboro and Tobyhanna S.P.s but I don't see very many deer there. I like exploring swamps. SGL 38 didn't have alot of buck sign on it this year either, which surprised me considering the heavy cover. I also spend alot of time in the Promised Land area. I guess I just like exploring!!!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
129 and 38 were pretty bad this year. Neither the deer nor the people were moving, due to the weather.
Anyone else notice the amount of poached deer that were caped out and just left laying everywhere on 38?

·
Registered
20,230 Posts
129 is right behind my house and I didn’t even bother going in there this season for deer.
I know every time I passed the parking lot down on 903 there were more cars then last year.
The first 4 days this year we spent over in 127. There are plenty of deer in there, but they all have PhD’s in hunter avoidance. I know 2 that must have been drop outs, one is in the refrig at Lamparters in Gouldsboro.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I just like exploring!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! I know I've had a good day scouting when I wake up in the middle of the night with a charlie horse! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbs.gif

1 - 20 of 234 Posts