The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BOARD TAKES OTHER ACTIONS

In other action today, the Board of Game Commissioners:

- Announced a plan to split Wildlife Management Unit 2G into two parts; the new portion of the split will be named WMU 2H. A board committee, headed by Game Commissioner David Putnam, recommended this course of action

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Good news ! Way too big from the start. Unit was laid out much too large, too much extremely varying habitat to manage with any degree of certainty.

·
Registered
945 Posts
It does seem too big. I don't mean this as "no deer" whining, even though I do that pretty well, but the part of 2G I hunt in Centre Cty is in pretty bad shape. Hunted three days of flintlock up there in fresh snow after Christmas and never saw a deer. A few tracks but you could go for a long ways and see no tracks at all. Three of us hunted grouse up there all day on MLK and never saw a deer. I'm guessing the western part of the WMU must have a few deer left. I hope they don't do away with the delayed doe harvest.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Way too big from the start. Unit was laid out much too large,
And as large as it was there was not enough data produced to be reliable from year to year. They had to use three year sets to make it useable. Sure is going to be hard to defend any management decisions without the proper data to back up the suggestions, recommendations and the allocations. Waugh!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Especially in Centre County, the part of 2G down off the Allegheny Plateau is drastically different from the northern tier parts in terms of habitat and deer density. This areas is more like 4D, and IMO should be split into its own WMU.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
CampHollow said:
Especially in Centre County, the part of 2G down off the Allegheny Plateau is drastically different from the northern tier parts in terms of habitat and deer density. This areas is more like 4D, and IMO should be split into its own WMU.
I agree with you, but just where are you going to make that split. You need either a major highway or natural boundary.That's why they used I80,anything else would just be grasping straws.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yeah, I know. That's the million dollar question. It wouldn't solve the problem entirely, but even Rt. 150 would be a better delineator than 1-80 in Centre and Clinton.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Straight from the horses mouth......

Coudersport to DuBois following RT 872 to RT 607 to RT 155 to RT 120 to RT 555 to RT 255 to RT 80

Splitting it right down the middle.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
archeryman32 said:
Straight from the horses mouth......

Coudersport to DuBois following RT 872 to RT 607 to RT 155 to RT 120 to RT 555 to RT 255 to RT 80

Splitting it right down the middle.

That's not right down the middle....

dubois would have 5 wmu's within 5 miles of it....

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I posted the question on the PGC website and that is the answer I got. I'm not sure they even know what they are going yet, to be honest.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The new WMU that is proposed will be about 1,200 square miles, the North/West part of the former 2G and will be labled 2H.

The Eastern part of the old 2G will stay as 2G, and will be about 2,900 square miles.

There are no changes to the outer boundary of the former WMU 2G. All of those remain the same...US Rt 6 on the north, US Rt 219 on the west, I80 and US 220 in the south, and US 15 on the east.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Mustang06 said:
The new WMU that is proposed will be about 1,200 square miles, the North/West part of the former 2G and will be labled 2H.

The Eastern part of the old 2G will stay as 2G, and will be about 2,900 square miles.

There are no changes to the outer boundary of the former WMU 2G. All of those remain the same...US Rt 6 on the north, US Rt 219 on the west, I80 and US 220 in the south, and US 15 on the east.

wow seems the folks in Dubois will have to decide which of the 5 units they wish to hunt doe in...
Does seem like a strange breakdown
any word on why those specific roads would be used as boundries instead of just splitting the unit in 2?

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
ICAREDOYOU said:
By the sounds of the posts ... you can't make em happy with this change. They want it split and now it is too much splitting..gee.
Me? I want it split!!! just trying to figure out how they came up with the boundries there asking for... seems like a strange cut.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
2G is too big but they want to split it down 872?????

This split needs to be North/South not East/West. Potter/Cameron together and the rest on their own.

The idea is matching up habitiat isn't it? What does Wharton PA and Lock Haven have in common as far as Habitat, heck Wharton and Renovo? Nothing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts