The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good friend who has a camp there, my wife and i go there sometimes to look for elk and like it alot. Elk state forest is walking distance. I told him he was nuts for not hunting up there, but he always told me there were too many camps. Well this year he decided to go and he was shocked, almost all the camps were empty and he walked all around and only saw one other hunter and very few shots. So he's gonna go every year and naturally I'm invited. Just wanna know if this is the norm for that area, i never wanted to hunt upstate because i can see wall to wall orange down here just fine. Not concerned with the lack of deer up there, tho there certainly wasnt a shortage when we were up in october, saw alot more deer there than around here. I'm more concerned with hunting a big open area. Think its worth going? Would love to deer hunt up north just once in my life

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
It is the norm lately because there are very FEW deer left in 2G. No more 30 deer a day sightings. Hopefully it will get back to normal.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Certain areas seem to hold good populations of deer there. I have hunted the last 12 years out of Sinnamahoning and very rarely do I ever see a hunter and the ones you do see are usually not deep in the woods. I got a doe on Monday and it took me 3 1/2 hours to get it to my truck and that was with some help. So if you don't have one get a good GPS and have at it, lots of area up there.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Being the area I hunt in 2G is not DMAP property
I can only hunt Antlered the first week. Since they put this into effect I have seen the amount of hunters reduced during the first week of season.
This could be 1 reason for not seeing a lot of hunters.
Good luck - given the opportunity - go for it.
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To tell the truth I see alot more deer there than here in 5C. Seeing a deer in the woods here is almost an event, there groups of deer walked right into his yard at night. So I'm not worried about the very low deer populations I deal with that at home here, I just dont want to see the orange army.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Those deer in the yard can get frustating sometimes. I have counted up to 16 in our back yard on more than one occassion this year but you usually don't see that in the woods. I felt like I was hunting by myself this archery season I hunted a total of 8 days and never saw a single hunter. There are lots of road hunters but trust me if you get a mile or more off the road you don't usually see many in the orange army.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Bigedg said:
How did you get a doe? 2G is no doe hunting until 2nd week
Think he was refering to this George.

(don't get me wrong, I'm not asking......just think that's what he was talking about.....Gotta answer and please the internet po-po don't ya no)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Hunting may take place during all seasons for the taking of antlerless deer by using the sporting arm allowed during that season. The hunter must be properly licensed for the season; for example, archery or muzzleloading licenses are required during those seasons. Antlerless deer also may be taken on DMAP properties in WMUs 2D, 2G, 3C & 4B during the antlered-only firearms season – November 30 – December 4 – by hunters with DMAP permits for the property on which they take their antlerless deer.
You get an extra week of doe hunting in an area that should have a higher population.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Thanks fellows I'm getting tired of telling other guys including the 2 that jumped me when I got to my truck on Monday and I wasn't in the best of moods after 3 1/2 hours of dragging.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You guys have no land to hunt, is that why you never post in here?
Those 3D guys are making you look bad, and they're all city slickers

I looked at Lycoming county alone, and the Northwest corner of the state looks like Montana. What's the deal, no deer? Let me know if you need some volunteers.

How bad is the drilling going to be out there?

Any good grouse hunting? Coyotes?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All I can say is at night in the cabin you hear coyotes all around ya howling

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Talonracer said:
All I can say is at night in the cabin you hear coyotes all around ya howling
well then start shooting the darned things!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'd think the coyotes would be everywhere out there, there is so much land from 13 all through the state forests to the left there. How many people go deep, deep in those woods. Probably not too many. Think I need to take a trip and check it out.

·
Registered
515 Posts
curio I think there is a good population of yotes there but in saying that the amount of time that I spend in the woods and not just hunting but spotlighting and just driving around I don't see many. I did have a shot at one in rifle season and my bil shot one in archery. I think what all suprises me is when it snows and you see yote tracks all around so you know they are there even if I'm not seeing them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts