The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
watched a utube video on the build, just starting to gather up the parts. anyone else build one and have any tips or suggestions?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Back in the 70's I saw one, a couple free love folks started a live off the land movement. Theirs was a large drum with what looked like rubber spikes attached to this drum. When they fired it up and put the to be plucked chicken to the drum, the feathers flew!. The couple with the chicken were covered with feathers and the curious watcher was covered also. When they finished, looked like I need a turn on that -- (I can't say that)-- drum.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Actually theres a youtube video of 2 people cleaning chickens using one of these. It worked pretty slick. He sprayed the hose in while plucking 4 at once and all feathers washed out the bottom

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Powderbourne Preserve has a bird plucker that looks like a washer drum with rubber fingers inside. Dip bird in scalding water and put a few in spinning drum with running water for a minute or two. works great

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Just looked in to this last week. Bunch of em on youtube. Some even use an old clothes washer. Some seem to work better than others. Looks like the drum needs to spin pretty quick and the motor needs some torque to do it. Not sure where they get their rubber nubs for in the drum, but one guy used some old hose pieces. Remember that you're cleaning food, so clean parts to start with (new from the store doesn't mean clean - no telling what the Chinese put stuff thru in manufacturing) should be important.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
started to get the pieces to build. got a 3/4 hp motor and 1" shaft from a old roof vent,ordered the fingers from ebay.got a 14" pulley from graiger on sale for 30.00.fingers cost 75.00.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts