The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I am having a problem with my vanes striping off arrows shot thru my wisker biscut rest. Anyone else having this problem? It could just be a bad glue job from the shop...just had new vanes put on.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
It could just be a bad glue job from the shop...just had new vanes put on.
No, your vanes are just not able to withstand the bristles of the rest. Switch them to Bohning Killer vanes or Blazer vanes. Sounds like your shop failed to ask what rest your using. Because any shop that is any good would have asked this question, and steered you as to which vane to use!

·
Banned
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply...i think im going to change rest anyway...having a problem paper tunning with the wisker

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I shafted an arrow at 50 yrds sat am in the back yard with a WB
I shoot 2" fusions straight fletch and last year I used 2 inch blazers

And I don't paper tune

Walk back tuning works better for me

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Had a similar problem with vanes stripping from the WB. I had the arrows re-fletched and have had no problems since. For hunting purposes, I love the WB. 3 fall-aways sit on a shelf in my basement, as well as, 2 TM Hunter style rests.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Never had a problem with blazers or fusion going through the biscuit except when i used crappy glue. Bohning Platinum last a few shots before they start coming loose. Goat Tuff has been the best so far.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
123 5/8 PY said:
bad company said:
Hey guys... I am having a problem with my wisker biscut rest.
Another one...hum.
Yeah, and just because its a WB rest doesn't mean it does not come with problems that people encounter. Its a simple rest, yes. But you still need to do things in a certain way!
I love mine!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Take a look at the Octane Pro rest
gives you about the same capture as the WB but the vanes never touch the rest. No reduced fps, no striping of vanes. And cost is close to the same as a WB.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info....I think im going to a drop away....nothing against WB....but I realy would not take a chance if I had a monster in sights and a vane came off....never had the problem with any other rest I shot.FYI: The shop told me that the vanes were good to go with any rest...well two shots and the vanes were gone.

·
Registered
111 Posts
ive never lost a vane in 5 years shooting through the biscuit. ive found it very easy to tune and very accurate.
perhaps u have the wrong size? i wouldnt switch to a drop away 4 days before the season,but its your decision. make sure u get a quality one,set up properly that can get out of the way in time. especially if you are shooting a fast rig.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I had issues with archery shop fetching. Since then I've flecthed my own arrows with the 2" blazers and haven't had an issue. I also put a little dab on the front of each vane.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Never had that problem when I shot WB. Vanes always held up just fine. Shot mostly Beman ICS Hunters and Gold Tips through it.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Yep, never had a problem with vanes when I shot a WB either. Sounds like the shop is blowin' smoke up your you know what. They have have used the wrong adhesive or didn't prep the arrows correctly.

A little too close to the season to be changing things up drastically.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
When vanes aren't compatible with the WB they usually wrinkle from the friction not peel completely off. Some will eventually peel off after being out of shape but if you are having vanes come completely off after 2 shots it is the fletching process at fault. You may see the same issue with any rest if the glue isn't holding they will eventually come off. The WB just gets it done faster since it contacts the vanes. If you have the arrows fletched properly with good glue you shouldn't have any problems. I would check the arrows real good before buying another rest only to see the same problem. Grab a vane and pull on it, if it comes off you found your problem. If an arrow is fletched right with decent glue you shouldn't be able to pull a vane off very easily. I've pulled my arrows out of a 3-d target by a vane before just to see if it would hold.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I used a WB for several seasons with the plane jane 6 inch vanes and never had a problem, I think your WB size might be off for your arrows and probably cheap glue. My bow shop(shooters showcase in slippery rock) fletches my arrows and I've not had a problem with losing vanes, after alot of target practice I would see little ripples on the vanes but was still shooting bullseyes so it wasn't hurting anything, last year I bought a new bow and decided to try a drop away because everyone raves about them, I still shoot bullseyes but honestly I like the way the WB contains the arrow better so when I'm sitting on stand holding my bow the arrow is always ready, to close to season to swithback but next year I'll be shooting the WB again, good luck with whatever you decide to use.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just checked all 2dz arrows Sendero.....you nailed it...bad glue job...Just pulled off 22 vanes....it almost looks like they put them on with super glue.....its hard, and left white marks on my arrows. I just ordered a AZ fletcher..going to refletch myself and try WB rest again, because I do like the ease of it. Thanks everyone for the help

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
bad company said:
Just checked all 2dz arrows Sendero.....you nailed it...bad glue job...Just pulled off 22 vanes....it almost looks like they put them on with super glue.....its hard, and left white marks on my arrows. I just ordered a AZ fletcher..going to refletch myself and try WB rest again, because I do like the ease of it. Thanks everyone for the help
Use the Bohning Killer or Blazer vanes. I guarantee they will not wrinkle!!! Also this is a must!!! Place a drop of glue on the leading edge of each vane! I also do the back edge. Most glues are a form of super glue. Been using Gorilla Super Glue for two years now. Never had a vane come off yet, I have shot them off! LOL!

·
Registered
180 Posts
LifeNRA said:
bad company said:
Use the Bohning Killer or Blazer vanes. I guarantee they will not wrinkle!!! Also this is a must!!! Place a drop of glue on the leading edge of each vane! I also do the back edge. Most glues are a form of super glue. Been using Gorilla Super Glue for two years now. Never had a vane come off yet, I have shot them off! LOL!
+1 on the Gorilla Super Glue. It is not as brittle as regular super glue and is as tough as nails.

Also, +1 on the drop of glue on the front and back end of each vane. This tip should not be limited to WB shooters. It helps protect the vane if you sink an arrow up to the fletchings in a worn out target.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts