The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
my favorite part of that whole Wisconsin report.....

"Dr. Alt is a well-known wildlife biologist who, although originally
recognized as an accomplished predator (black bear) researcher, was appointed by Governor
Tom Ridge to head the white-tailed deer program at the Pennsylvania Game Commission. The
purpose of the appointment was to evaluate Pennsylvania's deer management program and to
coordinate necessary changes for improvement. Governor Ridge selected Dr. Alt because of his
extensive experience with public relations and mass media to communicate with the public about
wildlife management issues and his demonstrated success to solicit public support for necessary changes. The positive impacts of Dr. Alt's work in Pennsylvania are widely acknowledged as
significant and long-lasting."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Really?

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
yes, thats how the wildlife management community views it. although many on here do not, there are many in this state who realize it's signifigance too.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
yellodog said:
yes, thats how the wildlife management community views it. although many on here do not, there are many in this state who realize it's signifigance too.

Yes especially this part...........
Governor Ridge selected Dr. Alt because of his
extensive experience with public relations and mass media to communicate with the public about
wildlife management issues and his demonstrated success to solicit public support for necessary changes

He was a huckster who SOLD Hr with Ar.....Now hes pulling the same stuff over there.. And there is still no biological proof that Ar is needed...
as a matter of fact wheres Pa's 10 year study to see if Ar is really working?
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2010/apr_data_summary10_ppt.pdf

My guess is the results would be pretty similar with a HIGH percentage of yearling bucks not getting killed by hunters yet never to show up in the harvest as older deer

·
Banned
100 Posts
clearfield12 said:

recognized as an accomplished predator (black bear) researcher, was appointed by Governor
Tom Ridge to head the white-tailed deer program at the Pennsylvania Game Commission. The
purpose of the appointment was to evaluate Pennsylvania's deer management program and to
coordinate necessary changes for improvement. Governor Ridge selected Dr. Alt because of his
wildlife management issues and his demonstrated success to solicit public support for necessary changes. The positive impacts of Dr. Alt's work in Pennsylvania are widely acknowledged as

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Really?
The governor selected Dr. Alt? I thought he was just promoted from within. Surely the governor would not hand pick our deer team management leader of a "independant" agency would he?

Some people might see that as political meddling and agenda further by the head chief of dcnr.

....Of course we all know that could never be the case right?

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
keystone-hunter said:
clearfield12 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Really?
The governor selected Dr. Alt? I thought he was just promoted from within. Surely the governor would not hand pick our deer team management leader of a "independant" agency would he?

Some people might see that as political meddling and agenda further by the head chief of dcnr.

....Of course we all know that could never be the case right?
Bingo!

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
who would have been better qualified? terry bradshaw? it's not like alt is just some celeb appointed by a politician, he does have an successful & extensive background in wildlife management in pa. seems our bear program was/is a success, no?

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
yellodog said:
who would have been better qualified? terry bradshaw? it's not like alt is just some celeb appointed by a politician, he does have an successful & extensive background in wildlife management in pa. seems our bear program was/is a success, no?
Bear
deer

Last I checked you didn't like comparing apples and oranges.........

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Im sure there were many people already involved with the deer management program who were Better qualified to head a DEER management program....Don't ya think?

Does seem a bit strange to have the head of the dcnr appoint a salesman/yesman/bearman for the job of deer manager

·
Banned
100 Posts
Kroll was hired by Wi. governor to help ram-rod a political deer reduction scheme down the hunters throats. I would say Kroll picked the perfect 2nd.

Who in the country has more experience at that than Alt?

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
everything is a conspiricy to some. easier than accepting truth you simply don't want to beleive i guess. carry on.

·
Super Moderator
13,779 Posts
First of all the information with the report concerning Doctor Alt having been appointed by Governor Ridge is incorrect information that was likely the result of an assumption based on the fact that in Wisconsin I believe many of the management positions are appointments by their Governor. In fact it was the Wisconsin Governor who set up the Committee to evaluate the Wisconsin deer program. So, I would suspect it was assumed that Alt’s appointment to the head of the Pennsylvania Deer Management Program had been an appointment by the Pennsylvania Governor.

The fact is Doctor Alt accepted the position of Head of the Pennsylvania Deer Management Section as an appointment by then Executive Director Vern Ross. He was asked to take the position by the Executive Director because he was a good Biologist and good public speaker with the ability to make more people understand the biological aspects of scientific management practices.

And, Biologists are not species specific. Even though some of them do frequently spend much of their time working on one species they are trained to use the scientific methodology toward management of any wildlife species so contrary to what some believe Doctor Alt was very well qualified to be the Section head of the Penna. Deer program.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Banned
100 Posts
yellodog said:
everything is a conspiricy to some. easier than accepting truth you simply don't want to beleive i guess. carry on.
And to some anything is just fine as long as it equals fewer deer and supporting that end.

Despite every single shred of evidence that doesnt.

No, there are no politics in deer management. They hired Alt because he made our deer so healthy, they thought the herd with the most record book bucks in the country could benefit from his expertise he gained here by crawling under rocks and tagging snoozing bears, OR was it because he did such a good job selling the governors bill of goods on the deericide. His only "deer" management experience.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Dr. Alt is a well-known wildlife biologist who, although originally
Tom Ridge to head the white-tailed deer program at the Pennsylvania Game Commission.
Doesn't look like an error to me. There was no reason for anyone to guess at who appointed him. Clearly that came from Alt.

Alt also called Ridge a good friend.

Alt also said that a similarity shard by both states deer situation is that the governor got involved in Pa, just like in Wi.

So I guess the study author made a mistake, and Alt also lied.

...hmmm. I don't think that is the most likely scenario. Whaddaya think?

·
Super Moderator
13,779 Posts
keystone-hunter said:
Dr. Alt is a well-known wildlife biologist who, although originally
Tom Ridge to head the white-tailed deer program at the Pennsylvania Game Commission.
Doesn't look like an error to me. There was no reason for anyone to guess at who appointed him. Clearly that came from Alt.

Alt also called Ridge a good friend.

Alt also said that a similarity shard by both states deer situation is that the governor got involved in Pa, just like in Wi.

So I guess the study author made a mistake, and Alt also lied.

...hmmm. I don't think that is the most likely scenario. Whaddaya think?
I guess you can conspire it any way you want. But, I know for an absolute fact who appointed him to the Head of the Deer Management Section because I saw it all as it was happening. In fact, Doctor Alt called me and we discussed the position before he made the decision to accept it. It was also LMO Dzemyan, my wife and I who took him around to get the pictures he used in his statewide management tours.

Though his appointment might very well have been endorsed by then Governor Ridge, and they might well have even been friends, it was without ANY doubt an appointment by Executive Director Vern Ross that put Alt in the position he held in the Penna. Deer Program.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Dick Its a waste of time trying to tell a select few on here the facts. They have their own hero and what he says is gold and they dont care what the true facts are anyways. It doesnt fit with their conspiracy theory at all.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
seems our bear program was/is a success, no?
Seems the bear program has made leaps and bounds in the years after he left. Not to say that he did not have a lasting effect.
Seems the bears are larger and more plentiful since HR/AR. Or at least there are more plentiful larger bears. HMMM I wonder if there is any cause and effect with the increase in the food supply when there are less deer eating what is available?

It always amazed me that once we started being allowed to shoot the smaller bears which included cubs the size of the bears increased. Sort of some type of reverse high grading? Adding the reduction in deer to the mix seemed to increase the size once the random harvest helped remove the naturally smaller bears.

Great plan if it worked on bear than the opposite should work on deer.
Let's protect our smaller antlered deer by going away from random harvest.

Well no one will notice because the affect will be masked by the increased nutritional gain.
Waugh!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts