The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just want to hear from actual users of wired pet containment and wireless units.
I like the portability of the wireless unit, for vacations and up at camp but have no experience with either option.
Please enlighten me.
Thanks Dutch

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Yardmax system for my Brittany at home and it's works great. It took a couple weeks of training to teach him the lines. . It makes life much better for him and us. At camp I just bought a cheap wired unit $99 from Walmart. He learned that boundary with in minutes. I considered a wireless unit but a circle would not work for our camp.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, the radius limitation is a concern for sure. The directions say it is adjustable but it is not real specific on how adjustable.

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
I'm soon to install a SportDog wired system in my property. I can let you know the results. My lab is not super hard-headed, but he does wander if not watched like a hawk. He is on an eCollar and responds positively to warnings and mild corrections, so I am hopeful he'll be contained by this system. Several neighbors use them successfully, as well.

The issue for me is my lot is irregularly shaped and 2.45 acres in size. I could limit him (actually, two labs, but the 2nd one is 9 weeks old, so he's not in the mix on this just yet) to a smaller area, but I don't want to do that. So....1450' of wire, give or take, needs to be installed. That'll be fun....

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Took a wireless one back a few weeks ago. Petsafe brand. Was a disaster. The 'circle' was intermittent at best. It is supposed to let you knwo when the battery needs replaced. Instead it just shocked the h*** out of my dog when the battery started going south. The dimensions changed on the circle unpredictably too. Poor guy had no idea what was going on. It was even shocking him in parts of the house before we figured out what was going on. It's been a few weeks now and he's doing ok now but I will be installing a wired fence this summer.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I've used a wired PetSafe fence successfully with 2 bird dogs over a number of years. It works well except when I forget about the buried cable and cut the wire (I have 3 splices where I got attacks of stupid). I have it in a figure 8 around my house so I can let the dog out in either the front yard or back yard without him being able to run around the house.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Aces'nEights said:
A friend I know had one for his Golden. It learned eventually that a burst of speed meant a moment of unpleasantness = freedom.
. The newer systems are a lot better than they used to be. The Yardmax doesn't have the correction zone like the old units. look into it and it's a rechargeable collar that so far lasts a long time on a charge. Like 2 months a charge depending on the learning curve of the dog. My Brittany learned very quick surprisingly since he's nuts at time. Now He doesn't even try to leave even for a deer, walking dog or birds. I was skeptical but I swear by it now. I installed it with a gas powered lawn edger I bought off Craigslist for $100 and a homemade tool for burying the wire.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I have a sport dog wired system on the way.
I will rent an edger and make an installation tool.
I really appreciate the comments.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure where your located but Kenmac rental in Butler rents a edge with a dog fence attachment that burys the wire as it trenches. I saw this after I did mine or would have rented it for sure.

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
Ok, so what are you guys making as an installation tool?

I was under the impression that I dig/edge the trench/opening in the ground, lay the wire, cover with dirt.

Are you just talking about something to manage the spool so you can keep moving and edge/trench and lay wire?

I was planning to employ my kids to cover it over after the cable is in place, lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'll take a picture when I get home. I just welded a small peice of tubing to an old large screw driver then fed the wire through the tube. This really burys it in the bottom of the cut in the sod. Makes it a lot easier for 750' of wire.

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
Thanks! I have 1450' for my perimeter, then probably 200-ish feet to get twisted strand to the perimeter. It'll be a real project.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have a petsafe. I have had it for probably 12 years. I had to run a new wire a couple years ago. I think the combination of age and that cold winter did it. I have had the same unit all this time and 2 of the original collars. The simple basic ones last. I had trouble when I got 2 that also worked with remote tone and correction. They worked but didn't last for me. Now you don't even have to dig the wires in. You can just use those u shaped things and hammer them in. If you properly train your dog you should be well satisfied. There may be some stupid or stubborn dogs but any dog that I have ever seen that were not contained by the fence it was the owners fault for not properly training and the training is easy and doesn't take much time or effort. I have never had a dog that wouldn't stay within the fence. You can also just remove the unit from your home and hook it up to the wires at your camp if you want.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If you get those u things you don't have to dig unless under a sidewalk or something.

·
Super Moderator
8,040 Posts
I'm not sure I'd want to leave it above ground in my yard where I mow. I was planning to use the landscaping weed barrier staples like you described in the wooded section of my property, but not where I'll be running the mower and kids will be running and such.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've been using a wired pet safe system for 10+ years. One bit of advise I'll share is to plug it in to a surge protected outlet or power strip.
My 1st unit got fried by a lightning strike that hit a neighbors tree. It must have traveled thru the roots approx. 50-60' followed the wire back to the house fried the controller, blew the transformer apart and off the wall outlet. The only part left at the receptacle were the prongs and they were welded to the receptacle. I'm lucky it didn't burn my house down. I didn't even know it happened until 2 days later when my GSP left the yard and I went to check the loop light for a broken wire
Mike

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pooch897 said:
Not sure where your located but Kenmac rental in Butler rents a edge with a dog fence attachment that burys the wire as it trenches. I saw this after I did mine or would have rented it for sure.
Thanks, I have one reserved for Saturday - definitely the way to go!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fishin coyote said:
I've been using a wired pet safe system for 10+ years. One bit of advise I'll share is to plug it in to a surge protected outlet or power strip.
My 1st unit got fried by a lightning strike that hit a neighbors tree. It must have traveled thru the roots approx. 50-60' followed the wire back to the house fried the controller, blew the transformer apart and off the wall outlet. The only part left at the receptacle were the prongs and they were welded to the receptacle. I'm lucky it didn't burn my house down. I didn't even know it happened until 2 days later when my GSP left the yard and I went to check the loop light for a broken wire
Mike
Great advice and I will follow it. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts