The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
28,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies for the out of season pics. My computer and photobucket have just now decided the joke wasnt funny anymore and finally allowed me to upload these.

For you folks who arent aware of what 'ice out' is about, it usually occurs in the early spring when temperatures begin to rise. Heavy rain causes the water under the ice on the river to rise, and that causes it to break up and begin moving downstream.

The frozen river just looks like an open field when looking upstream.

The view downstream is similar

After a night of heavy rains draining into the river from every little creek in the watershed the river begins to rise and the ice starts breaking up forming open leads.

Before long, ice floes are being pushed up on top of each other and onto the main body by the current, causing it to break under their weight.

As more open leads form and allow for more movement the whole field begins collapsing and moving downstream.

Now it'll break up everything in it's way.

The noise is like a hundred freight trains going by at once!
Some of the pieces pushed up on the far shore are big enough to park a tractor trailor on.

Backing away from the near shore is a good idea also as some big pieces can get pushed up the riverbank. These pieces are one to two feet thick.

All broken up and moving downstream.

Huge rafts of ice moving downstream carrying whole trees and their trunks signal the end of the show.

If someone can explain why some of the ice is blue, please do because I really dont know.
Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I think this would be similar to what you are seeing ,

The purity and age of the ice also play an important factor in the color of ice in glaciers. As the ice ages it is compressed, melted and frozen again eliminating air bubbles that scatter the light rays and bounce them back out in the same color they came in (white). Once the ice becomes pure the light waves are much more likely to be absorbed promoting the deep blue color.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Amazing pictures. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
After last weeks scorching heat this is welcome relief!

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
timberdoodle said:
If someone can explain why some of the ice is blue, please do because I really dont know.
Thanks for looking
It's cold...that's why its blue... Nice pics sir!!
gases(trapped) and the light coming "through" the ice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts