The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I use to stabilize the gas and then fog the cylinders with engine store. For the last few years I follow the storage directions on the Marine Stabil. I put the stabil in the tank and then get gas at a station so it is well mixed. I then run the engine and just turn it off. I always change the lower unit oil and I remove the prop and clean and regrease the spindle. I also hit all the grease fittings on the motor and grease the steering rod. It really doesn't take very long. More fun and easier then repacking the wheel bearings on the trailer.

·
Registered
19,787 Posts
I usually started to run stabilizer through my fuel tank starting in September since I try to keep the boat in the water till after Thanksgiving for strippers and the boat sits sometimes for 4 or 5 weeks between trips or unexpected hurricanes and the boat never goes back in.
Besides the stabilizer I always used the fogger, 6 bucks is a lot cheaper then a rebuild. What was left in the can was sprayed on all moving or shiney metal parts.
Pull and grease prop spline, charge disconnect battery but store in boat.
Always changed lower unit oil,both fall storage and again for spring start up.

A properly cared for outboard will easily give you 2000 hrs of service one not cared for 1/4 that.

GoodLuck

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Why would you change the lower unit oil after storage? Hmm, I guess if it makes you feel safe.

Im planning to run my boat as far into fall this year as possible with the problems I had this season from coils to starters, carbs. I hate older two strokes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts