The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is never going to end lol. Took a walk last night, wanted to check out how the snow melt is going in one of fav doodle areas. Still have a good solid foot to knee high deep snow. Found these two tracks crossing paths. Yote and grouse

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I too went for a walk last evening. Still air, 20 degree temps made it comfortable enough. Half inch of powder on top of 8 inches of crusted hard packed snow. Tracks just jumped off the surface.
While I saw the usual concentration of deer tracks around chainsaw activity, I get a real kick out of the small game sign. That's partially because when I bought this parcel it had been devastated by a herd of black angus. No small game due to no food or cover.
I saw rabbit tracks in all the thick areas and a few in marginal habitat. Even saw a few out as dusk approached. Saw grouse tracks on occasion near crabapple thickets or young pines.
It was also clear that the predators are very active. A pair of coyotes were checking out many of the same areas I was and in places their tracks were more common than all others. The foxes were also out and about. A few possum and porkies were move around in areas with nearby hollow logs.
That is one thing I will miss when spring finally arrives. Seeing the tracks and the story they tell. Mind you, not enough that I want spring delayed anymore.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is great, sounds like you have your land heading in the right direction! I too welcome spring any day now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts