The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on trapping fox/coyote in the winter months i dont use cables so that is out of the question. I have never realy trapped in to much snow so here are some questions.
Do you brush your tracks out after you make your set?
How much snow covering is to much and when should you pull your sets?
I know making a set of any type in the snow is not going to look natural so do you make a big mess or no mess out of it?
If it snows after you put your sets in should you brush the snow off daily?
If snow covers my lure say down the dirthole or a flat set is under snow do i relure/pull/or uncover them?
Last thing will my tracks in the snow leading to my sets stop fox/coyote from approaching my sets?
Thanks in advance to all who reply i think the answers to these questions will help alot of new trappers as well.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Get ahold of Asa Lennon on Trapperman.com, he would be happy to help you out.

I brush my tracks and make a mess on purpose originally, but I don't disturb any new snow, nor do I relure. If you want the set to stand out against the background just toss some fresh dirt or peat ontop the snow where the set is.
I snared a coyote last winter in two feet of snow by shuffling my feet while dragging a broom behind me to cover my tracks. I set a snare right in my path and caught a coyote.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been trapping in snow for 35 yrs. and snow is the trappers paint brush. I don't start setting traps until it snows. I just pick my set site and rake it out, dig, scrap or use the heal of your boot for a trap bed and make my set as usuial. Make sure your trap is waxed proper, get it sitting in the trap bed and take your sifter and sift snow over the trap, just like an artist use the snow to make your set disappear. Footprints only matter near your set, just brush them out then when you get back from the set just walk by like you don't know it's there. Cold powder snow is great you only need to be concerned if it warms some then refreezes and gets a crust, then just lift the crust off and make it look pretty again. same thing with deep snow just sweep the area and do what you have to to make it pretty again. If you are trapping coyote they hunt a wide circle and may not be back to your set for a couple weeks, lure will last so just keep away unless you need to make repairs. When you get used to snow it only makes trapping simpler.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hay-Sets!! . . . caught 4 Foxes this week, all in Hay-Sets with Fox Urine. Nothing in any dirt hole traps with various baits and lures.

:)

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Buy Russ Carmens book on winter fox trapping, it will be
all you need IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts