The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an abundance of winter squash. Butternut, candy roaster, kershaw, and hubbard. Need to get it used up so have been baking then scooping out the meat and freezing all I have left in the basement storage. Usually just reheat it with butter and brown sugar or add to soups. Any ideas for something different for frozen winter squash? Can I fry it in patties? Going to cube some and pressure can also. Not a baker so won't be doing pies. Thanks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well since nobody bit did candy roaster fritters with egg garlic salt pepper milk and bisquick. Had to add some instant potatoes to thicken. Fried in back fat lard. Work in progress.
If you are a winter squash fan I highly recommend candy roasters. Disease and pest tolerant with lots of BIG fruit but they need room. Have had 30' runners growing into trees by garden.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Just had butternut squash soup for the first time last night. Wasn't too bad. I have some left too and have just been roasting and adding butter and brown sugar.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Made soup this weekend also. Pureed in a food processor. Googled and found a couple recipes for fritters but haven't tried yet.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
My fave is buttercup squash. I'll have to look for the candy roaster seed. I love squash with butter and brown sugar, delicious.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
In a casserole dish slice your squash in 1/4 inch slices and layer with cooked and deboned squirrels, cream of mushroom soup and Turkey gravy mixed, Stove Top Turkey stuffing, top with a good layer of Parmesan cheese. Bake about 50 minutes or until bubbley and cheese is light brown.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My fave is buttercup squash. I'll have to look for the candy roaster seed. I love squash with butter and brown sugar, delicious.
Google north Georgia candy roaster. Most places sold out but there are a couple available. Online only. Wont find at lowes or agway. Johnny's shows in stock. They will begin accepting orders again from home growers tomorrow morning so look early if you shop with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts