The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its time to get to work now that deer hunting season is over.

early Lancaster, 42" x 13/16" .40 cal. rice barrel, Siler lock, Davis double set triggers and CM stock. hardware will be brass. wood patch box and some carving. This is for some one else, but I may have to do a .40 for myself:smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Is that a kit gun? I still want to get a northwest trade gun kit from Track. Or somewhere else, I don't really care. Just worried about the amount of time involved and whether or not I'll have the time to finish it. I wanna chase some cottontails with a flint shotgun!

·
Premium Member
24,273 Posts
Looks like a fun project Blackpowder!! Look fwd to seeing the completion.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is that a kit gun? I still want to get a northwest trade gun kit from Track. Or somewhere else, I don't really care. Just worried about the amount of time involved and whether or not I'll have the time to finish it. I wanna chase some cottontails with a flint shotgun!

no not a kit. I got the stock, barrel, breech plug, under lugs, tang screw and lock from Log Cabin, the triggers I had and I have a trigger guard here some where along with lock screws pins ect.. the rest I will order from Log Cabin or TOTW. Typically I have found that LC has a little nicer wood than TOTW.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Didn't take you long to break that out. You must have been itching to get started. You going to post pics as you get on? I know that's a lot of extra headache.

Reactions: loridr

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Didn't take you long to break that out. You must have been itching to get started. You going to post pics as you get on? I know that's a lot of extra headache.
Ha ha, that's one of 2 I need to get done this winter:surprise2: Pics?? Honestly, I wasn't going to, I have already done 2 on here and I am thinking maybe people don't want to be bored with it. I am really hoping some others will jump in and fill that void:grin2:

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
yes, I thought it was pretty nice too! I think LC's curl is nicer for the grade and the stocks are a little less bulky which saves a lot of time slimming them down.

Does LC offer dovetail service on their barrels? That's the one thing that spooks me about building one.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does LC offer dovetail service on their barrels? That's the one thing that spooks me about building one.
yes, they offer everything that TOTW does. I did the dovetails on the last one and they are really pretty simple, no worries:grin2: I haven't installed a breech plug yet, but it doesn't look tough at all, they come long so its just a matter of shorting it some. even touch holes a simple. its easy to get intimidated with some of the process but its really just about taking your time and thinking it out.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Bored? No way, I love build threads. At least some periodic progress pics? Pretty please? :grin2:
X2, when you have the time. :smile_big:

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
winter project turned summer project!

finally got back onto the .40 cal. early Lancaster build! barrel is fit and pinned, tang drilled, trigger inletted and drilled and tapped, butt plate fitted, patch box almost completed, lock inletted and tapped, cheek piece carved, most excess wood removed, ect.. need to install trigger guard, thimbles, touch hole, sights and carving plus whatever else I am forgetting. another month it should be done, maybe????:grin2:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts